starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stroke

Arrow Stroke

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Had a stroke three weeks ago.Temporal lobe, Right rear. In the words of the neurologist, "This is not a minor one". Fortunately, the consequences are not grave, and initial recovery was substantial and quick. I am walking and talking OK, approaching normalcy. No blindness or paralysis. There was some cerebral edema, which insults the whole brain and I think you can recover from that with time, but it leaves me a bit forgetful and disoriented within my skill set, but not all that bad - I have to repeat tasks some, and my typing is shit, memory crappy. got CRS (Can't Remember Stuff). The number one rules with neuroplasticity are: "Use it or lose it", and " Use it and improve it." I guess I'll just keep practicing., working on regaining my baseline.

Haven't had my final appointment with a neuro yet, and am not yet cleared to drive, but am eager to start training again. Best way to decondition someone is to lay them in bed in a hospital for a week with no activity, and I'm really feeling it. Figure I'll just titrate my lifts again, run a novice LP and go back to the routine I had used before once that runs out. Anybody got any advice for weight training for people who have had recent strokes? My thinking is to stay as active as possible without doing further harm. People act like I'm made out of glass and stupid, to boot!

Getting lots of support from family and friends. That's new for me, but really nice.

How old are you? Any warning signs? Balance problems?
    Sounds like a phenomenal recovery for "this is not a minor one".
    Read up on magnesium for brain recovery and health (magnesium miracle).
    Did you think your recovery rate was impacted by your lifting history?
    Keep at it and stay strong.

Wow, I'll be praying for your full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Wow, I'll be praying for your full recovery.
    Thanks, Shug. I think I'll be fine, with a little more time and work. I already look and act pretty normal - for me. Keep forgetting stuff, but was already doing that.

Best wishes and hang in there.

Since you mentioned your memory has been rendered iffy, you may want to take extra time and attention to your form when lifting.

Just remember Beowulf. After he killed Grendel, he lived on for another 50 years and slew the dragon assailing his kingdom.

Kick this particular dragon's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by GammaFlat View Post
    How old are you? Any warning signs? Balance problems?
    Sounds like a phenomenal recovery for "this is not a minor one".
    Read up on magnesium for brain recovery and health (magnesium miracle).
    Did you think your recovery rate was impacted by your lifting history?
    Keep at it and stay strong.
    I'm 72. No warning signs, only a history of migraines, sometimes with expressive aphasia.Right now, can stand on one leg just fine and pass all the neuros' coordination tests.
    I'm really pleased with recovery so far. I will read up on magnesium , and ask my neuro as well. I'm always learning stuff, and practicing music, qigong and taiji, which may all help with healing. Got some qigong healing experiences that you would find hard to believe that my Indian VA primary care doctor appears to accept without reservation, and recommends that I continue during my practice during my recovery.

I plan to get strong again and stay as strong as I can. Experience proves, Rip's right. Sully and the rest of the guys as well. Wish I could start an analog of Sully's gym,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Best wishes and hang in there.

Since you mentioned your memory has been rendered iffy, you may want to take extra time and attention to your form when lifting.

Just remember Beowulf. After he killed Grendel, he lived on for another 50 years and slew the dragon assailing his kingdom.

Kick this particular dragon's ass.
    Good idea. It's my habit to video every set, including warmups. That's one I haven't forgotten, and I'll be starting back in just like a beginner LP. That particular Grendel's days are numbered. I do have a certain goal....

Praying for you man. Best of luck.
    Thanks for sharing. Stay positive!

Many prayers, Fiddler. I'm only 71 and so far all I have in hardening of the arteries which precludes me giving blood (it won't come out) and certain other things my wife and I used to enjoy. Keep at it. As our 91 year old client says "onward and upward."

starting strength coach development program
    Thoughts and prayers for you.

Hope you get back to lifting soon, and stimulating that ol' CNS!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast