starting strength gym

Thread: Ruptured Blood Vessels

Exclamation Ruptured Blood Vessels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today I got my GHD set up and added Glute/Ham Raises and GHD Sit-Ups to my volume squat/dynamic effort deadlift day. I did five sets of five glute/ham raises and three sets of twenty GHD sit-ups to just below parallel (both with bodyweight). The glute/ham raises were particularly difficult but I felt fine throughout the workout - no pain/headaches or light-headedness. When I looked in the mirror post-workout I noticed what looked like a red rash on my neck and deltoids - then I saw my eyelids and kind of freaked out (see attached picture). I have perfectly healthy blood pressure have never had an issue with ruptured blood vessels before while lifting so this kind of concerned me. I am wondering whether the introduction of the GHD work was actually that stressful OR I made a mistake with my breathing pattern during these two exercises OR I made a mistake breathing during my 5x5 squats. Im just a little bit concerned and looking to prevent it from happening in the future by improving technique so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ruptured Blood Vessels around the face happen sometimes and are not cause for great concern. GHD sit ups and glut/ham raises can increase the likelihood of this happening do to blood pulling to the head from being upside down. Are you looking to add abdominal work to your program? Is that why the GHD sit ups? Are you an intermediate lifter?

Thanks for the information, I looked into it further and it was a result of starting glute ham raises below parallel - essentially combining a back extension and a ghr. Yes, I’m an intermediate lifter, abdominal work has always been a part of my program I’ve just installed the GHD and wanted to integrate them for the greater range of motion and additional benefit of hip flexor work.