starting strength gym
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Stuck on bench and failed press, advice needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Inventing your own octagonal wheel may work to some extent. But why would you do that when someone else already has made a nice smooth wheel that has a proven track record of providing the best results? In other words DTFP.

I started to pull specific quotes but quickly realized I was quoting most of the article. Who Wants to be a Novice? You Do | Mark Rippetoe

I find it fascinating that so many people believe a 135 lb teenager has the ability to get fat in 2 months while he is also lifting weights. I couldn't get fat if i tried when I was 16, and I ate everything I could. I pounded down protein, and drank sodas and ice cream like I was on my 600 lb life.

OP, eat as much as you possibly can. If you start looking fat (you do own mirrors don't you, you won't wake up one day and all of a sudden be fat) then slow it down a little. I'm pretty sure you won't though. The bigger you get before 18 the easier it will be later on.

Quote Originally Posted by bracemaker View Post
    I find it fascinating that so many people believe a 135 lb teenager has the ability to get fat in 2 months while he is also lifting weights. I couldn't get fat if i tried when I was 16, and I ate everything I could. I pounded down protein, and drank sodas and ice cream like I was on my 600 lb life.

OP, eat as much as you possibly can. If you start looking fat (you do own mirrors don't you, you won't wake up one day and all of a sudden be fat) then slow it down a little. I'm pretty sure you won't though. The bigger you get before 18 the easier it will be later on.
    If he doesn't gain less than 0.7 pounds per week and add additional bench volume right this very second, he will have a heart attack and die in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    Hi, I made my decision during this debate, I decided to eat more, but not to the point of gaining to fast just the enough to have a decent LP and a good lean body mass/body fat gain ratio. I will perfect the form of my lifts, here are some videos if you want to check them out and give me recommendations:
    Bench Press video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube (I know that in the last reps my back get's rounded up, I think that I might need to start increasing less weight per workout)
    Squat video: YouTube (In this set I failed but wasn't because the weight felt heavy, I got distracted and f*cked my form, I repeated that set later and accomplished the 5 reps)
    Your bench looks fine. You need to learn to set your back better on the deadlift. Don't pull the bar until you're 100% sure your low back is set. Stand up and redo your deadlift setup between reps if necessary.

Your squats are high. Very high. The crease of your hip needs to drop below the top of your patella. You're 4-6 inches short of that mark. Take weight off the bar and make correcting this your top priority. Remember that ANY advice you receive from anyone about programming, or any thoughts you may develop on your own about programming are completely irrelevant in the absence of good technique. Until you're pulling with a flat back and squatting to depth, you don't have reliable data on your current strength levels (on any of the lifts since you're a novice) that would allow for anyone to give you solid programming advice.

Squat deep and eat more.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 08-31-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Your bench looks fine. You need to learn to set your back better on the deadlift. Don't pull the bar until you're 100% sure your low back is set. Stand up and redo your deadlift setup between reps if necessary.

Your squats are high. Very high. The crease of your hip needs to drop below the top of your patella. You're 4-6 inches short of that mark. Take weight off the bar and make correcting this your top priority. Remember that ANY advice you receive from anyone about programming, or any thoughts you may develop on your own about programming are completely irrelevant in the absence of good technique. Until you're pulling with a flat back and squatting to depth, you don't have reliable data on your current strength levels (on any of the lifts since you're a novice) that would allow for anyone to give you solid programming advice.

Squat deep and eat more.
    Technique first, then diet and programming. A Hierarchy of Variables in Strength Training | Andrew Lewis (internet feuds don't even make it onto the pyramid)

Squat deep and eat more.
    Do you think that I need to lower my hips in the deadlift? Or is it just setting properly my back?
    Really it's that high?, I think it may be camera angle, but I will check if I break parallel tomorrow.
    Thanks man.

Really it's that high?
    Look at the top of your thigh compared to the spotter arm when you start the ascent. These are very high.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    Do you think that I need to lower my hips in the deadlift? Or is it just setting properly my back?
    Really it's that high?, I think it may be camera angle, but I will check if I break parallel tomorrow.
    Thanks man.
    Setting your lower back- The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Learn About Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

You are high on the squats. Look at the angle of the top of your thighs between the hip and knee. The angle is running downhill towards the knee at ~10 deg. At the bottom of the squat the angle should be running slightly uphill towards the knee for the hip crease to break below the top of the knee.

Here's form check video instructions to get the most out of your videos- Posting to the Technique Forum

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Setting your lower back- The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Learn About Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

You are high on the squats. Look at the angle of the top of your thighs between the hip and knee. The angle is running downhill towards the knee at ~10 deg. At the bottom of the squat the angle should be running slightly uphill towards the knee for the hip crease to break below the top of the knee.

Here's form check video instructions to get the most out of your videos- Posting to the Technique Forum
    Okay I see, I will correct that, I really tought that I was breaking parallel, I guess not.
    Thanks man

starting strength coach development program

Squat deep and eat more.
    Hi, today I dropped the weight a little and filmed again my squat and deadlift which were the ones I had problems with, and was hoping if you could watch them and tell me if they're better or if I still need to modify thing:
    Squat video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube
    Thanks

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789