starting strength gym

Thread: Calorie Needs and Barbell Training

Default Calorie Needs and Barbell Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Robert Santana

Nutrition is a very important factor in training of all types. Whether you are under the barbell, running a marathon, or simply riding a bicycle to work daily, fueling the human body is an essential activity of daily life. Like most things in life, a clear and simple analysis exists. Understanding both what needs to be done as well as the rationale for why it needs to be done is equally important for educating future clients and practitioners alike.

Read article

Great Article on nutrition..(finally, it has been awhile)
    4,000+ calories folks...there it is!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Great Article on nutrition..(finally, it has been awhile)
    4,000+ calories folks...there it is!
    Yes, that appears to be the baseline recommendation for young males looking to add muscular bodyweight. He didn't define what "young" is in the article but he set 55 as the age for "older." And based on other factors mentioned one may need less than 4000 calories. In other words there is no real set calorie recommendation, it will always depend on your individual situation. I think everyone knows when they are getting sloppy fat and that's the time to reduce calories, not to the point of being six-pack ab guy but to the point you don't feel gross and sloppy anymore. Unless you're competing for good money there's no number on the bar worth being a slob.

If there are 2,000 kCal in a gallon of milk, that only lets me eat two thousand calories of food Fortunately I'm pretty sure I eat more than that and I'm not obese. Still kind of depressing as I always envisioned a "strength diet" consisting of 4,000 kCal of read meat at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    In other words there is no real set calorie recommendation, it will always depend on your individual situation. I think everyone knows when they are getting sloppy fat and that's the time to reduce calories, not to the point of being six-pack ab guy but to the point you don't feel gross and sloppy anymore. Unless you're competing for good money there's no number on the bar worth being a slob.
    That's precisely right. Eating need not be an academic endeavor. We've been doing it since the dawn of time I'm pretty sure we have a good handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    If there are 2,000 kCal in a gallon of milk, that only lets me eat two thousand calories of food Fortunately I'm pretty sure I eat more than that and I'm not obese. Still kind of depressing as I always envisioned a "strength diet" consisting of 4,000 kCal of read meat at a time
    How did you arrive at the conclusion that you need to drink a gallon of milk?
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 05-16-2022 at 12:08 PM.