starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulders Generally Beat-to-S*** By Squats, Impact on Press Training

Default Shoulders Generally Beat-to-S*** By Squats, Impact on Press Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Coaches,

A common problem, I know. The recent vid instructing bar position on the back, straight wrists, low elbows, etc. was great. It vastly improved this aspect of my squat since viewing. Unfortunately the general discomfort in my shoulders has increased. Pressing after squats hurts, reducing my ability to load the bar. What are some general strategies for not short-changing my press training? I dig the improved bar position while squatting, so I don't want to punt that. I've worked into it as gradually as I can.

Age: 55 BW: 195# Programming: H-L-M. Rest Between Work Sets: 8+ minutes. Protein Intake: 200+ grams per day. Recovery in general is good. Making steady gains on squat, DL, Press (until recently). Ran out LP, Tried BM RPE...didn't care for it. Digging HLM.

Current Training Weights:

Squat: 300#
    DL: 365#
    Press: 170# (Until recent bar position improvement in Squat, now 155# hurts)
    Bench: 235#

Thanks in Advance!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MeanOldMike View Post
    Dear Coaches,

A common problem, I know. The recent vid instructing bar position on the back, straight wrists, low elbows, etc. was great. It vastly improved this aspect of my squat since viewing. Unfortunately the general discomfort in my shoulders has increased. Pressing after squats hurts, reducing my ability to load the bar. What are some general strategies for not short-changing my press training? I dig the improved bar position while squatting, so I don't want to punt that. I've worked into it as gradually as I can.

Age: 55 BW: 195# Programming: H-L-M. Rest Between Work Sets: 8+ minutes. Protein Intake: 200+ grams per day. Recovery in general is good. Making steady gains on squat, DL, Press (until recently). Ran out LP, Tried BM RPE...didn't care for it. Digging HLM.

Current Training Weights:

Squat: 300#
    DL: 365#
    Press: 170# (Until recent bar position improvement in Squat, now 155# hurts)
    Bench: 235#

Thanks in Advance!
    Mike
    Hi, Mike. I think the best place to start with answering your question would be for you to get your forum membership confirmed and provide us with a video of your squat, taken from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Hi, Mike. I think the best place to start with answering your question would be for you to get your forum membership confirmed and provide us with a video of your squat, taken from the back.
    Thanks Adam! I'll get on that, and post the vid once approved.