starting strength gym

Thread: looking for Squat alternative, my gym does not have a squat rack

Default looking for Squat alternative, my gym does not have a squat rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had squatted and DeadLifted for years (in different gyms). However, this one does not have a squat rack. I tried some alternatives and I am facing difficulties.

First I tried with FRONT SQUAT. It felt awkward, I had some pain in the hands. It seemed that I faced more difficulty holding the weight in front of me, than lifting with my legs/butt. I have some tendonitis on the left shoulder that does not help.

On Sept 10th I did 3x5 with 46 kgr. Next workout I tried with 48.5 kgr. I failed to put the bar in position (failed to power clean it). So I switched to Wide Grip Deficit Dead Lifts (as a squat replacement).

On Sept 21st I lifted 66 kgr but I noticed I was cheating. I was lifting my butt too much before I straightened my back. So not sure if my legs worked properly bellow paralel, although the starting position was well bellow paralel. I tried to do the motion slowly and check my form, my hands started to open and loose the grip.

I also read that Wide Grip Deficit Dead Lifts are very taxing (as Dead Lifts are). So maybe they are a bad replacement for Squats.

What would you recommend? Try to perfect my squat like form for the deficit DL? Insist on the front squat, as my power clean improves?

I have now added power cleans to my routine and I believe I will soon lift close to 50kgrs. But I doubt I can ever lift 70-90kgrs to facilitate for heavier front squats.

My 5RM squat was 100 Kgrs (about 8 years ago). After that, I lifted sparingly. A year and a half ago, when I had managed to go to the gym for 45 days straight I lifted 5x82 kgrs Squat.

My 7RM DL was 145 Kgrs 8 years ago. Now I am strugling at 101 kgrs, 5 reps.

Right now I weight 82.5 kgrs, 1.72 m height, 52 years old. I started lifting again to get in shape. I was 86 kgr in May, trying to get stronger and loose fat right now.

PS: I have already talked to the owner. We may build a suat rack together, I al already searching for a good design.

Quote Originally Posted by vasobabis View Post
    What would you recommend?
    A new gym. Is that not an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    A new gym. Is that not an option?
    We are friends with the owner and he is a very good martial arts instructor, I like to attend his classes some times.

I am thinking of buying a squat rack and give it to the gym. In exchange for 1-2 years membership there.

But anyway, I would very much appreciate if you can elaborate on the alternatives I tried. I also want to learn more out this experience.

There are no alternatives to the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There are no alternatives to the squat.
    Thank you, coach.

Yesterday it was the 2nd time I failed to increase weight in the (regular) Dead Lift.

I think that the 3 set x 5 reps of the Deficit Wide grip DL I am doing in each workout impedes me from progressing on the regular DL. Won't you agree?

We are friends with the owner and he is a very good martial arts instructor, I like to attend his classes some times.

I am thinking of buying a squat rack and give it to the gym. In exchange for 1-2 years membership there.

But anyway, I would very much appreciate if you can elaborate on the alternatives I tried. I also want to learn more out this experience.
    You're overthinking this. $1000 isn't a lot of money for a business that is doing moderately well. You could even go lower and just buy squat stands for $500. if $500 is going to make or break the business, they're probably not above water. With the amount of time you're putting into this/wasting on finding an alternative, you could have just made the $500-$1000 and donated it to the gym.

In my experience, businesses doing well and who are above water are not interested in trades.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, coach.

Yesterday it was the 2nd time I failed to increase weight in the (regular) Dead Lift.

I think that the 3 set x 5 reps of the Deficit Wide grip DL I am doing in each workout impedes me from progressing on the regular DL. Won't you agree?
    Troll. Go away.