starting strength gym

View Poll Results: Should I deadlift on Mondays and Fridays, and power clean on my light days?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, start doing exactly what was described.

3 100.00%
  • No, stick with what you're doing now.

0 0%
  • No, go back to 10 pound jumps. You can still progress with that.

0 0%
  • No, other reason (please specify with a reply)

0 0%

Thread: Deadlifting 2x per week on SS

Default Deadlifting 2x per week on SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, everyone. I am a 19-year old male. I'm 6'3" , 220 pounds, and I'm running SS currently. I'm in my 6th week, and I'm planning on adding a light squat day this week. I've also got a powerlifting meet coming up, and I'd like to perform well at it. I recently moved my deadlift increments from 10 pounds per session to 5 pounds per session. I perform power cleans and deadlifts alternatingly. That being said, I don't particularly care about power cleans, but I respect Rip's opinion because he knows a hell of a lot more than I do, and he recommended it. Basically, my question is: Would it be beneficial for me to deadlift 2x per week on Mondays and Fridays and just do power cleans on my "light" day? I felt like it makes sense because it allows my deadlift to progress faster, which I feel like it can, especially with 5 pound increments. It also allows me to fully recover between Mondays session and Fridays session because there are only maximal efforts happening on upper body lifts. I'd like some wisdom and experience regarding the subject. Is this a good idea?

I also realize that people are going to ask, so I'm going to list where I'm at right now:
    Squat: 300x3x5
    Bench: 195x3x5
    Press: 125x3x5
    Deadlift: 320x5
    Power Clean: 170x5x3

Also, I should mention that I would prefer the setup I describe above. So, if all things are equal between my setup above and what you think is the optimum setup besides preference, please make that clear.

If you’re keen on following the program as written, you’re actually going to alternate DL and PC once you add them in. One week you’ll DL twice and PC once, the next you’ll PC twice and DL once.

That is what I'm currently doing. But since I care about my deadlift a lot and my power clean not so much, I was wondering if altering the frequency would be better for me. I've heard of people doing similar for bench and overhead press where they will bench 2x a week and press once, basically treating it like it's a bench-heavy week every week on the program. I care a lot about my press, so I don't want to make that change, but the deadlift one could be. Just wondering if there is something different about the lift that keeps it from being well-trained the way I described.

If you can make progress on your DL twice a week then you should. After all, It would represent faster progress. I do this with my clients all the time.

I appreciate the feedback, Scott. I'm leaning strongly toward it, especially now that a coach approves.

No, no, don't get me wrong. If you can do 2x a week, do it. There's room to change later as needed when the frequency catches up to you.

starting strength coach development program
    That's what I was thinking. I'll start 2x/week deadlifting starting Monday.