starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Bar advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Hey. Regarding the rack, I had looked at this ATX stuff from gym revolution and still I think Rogue is a better option. Including shipping, the rack you linked to would cost me £1100, whereas the tried and tested Rogue R-3 would cost £900. They are both 3mm steel, and I'm not sure anything with 'monster' in the name is necessary as I weigh 69kg and can barely lift my copy of Starting Strength. The bar has a better value proposition, but it looks like I'll end up getting the Ohio Power Bar, as it's pretty much the industry standard. Also, I appreciate USA manufacturing. I can't establish where any of the ATX stuff is made. I'm not particularly frugal and would rather pay slightly more for stuff i'm going to feel happier with, for whatever reason.
    Hi mate, of course it is your decision so go for what you like. With the links above it is free shipping over £1000 so you only have to spend an extra few quid on some collars. Think the Rogue (assuming you go infinity line 30” depth so 2”x3”) would work out around £950ish depending on what card you use - so difference is immaterial really. Just whichever you prefer. For me the pin and pipe was a no go but others seem ok with it.

Sorry forgot to add, if buying an infinity series rack make sure the EU store has all the accessories you want in that fitment. When I was looking they stocked more for the Monster Light series. Appreciate you said you don’t think you want anything with the name monster in it, but something to consider.

If these were your only three options, at the US prices indicated, which would you choose for the programme, and why?

Rogue B&R Bar (Imported from US) £463.18 ($610.15)
    Buddy Capps Starting Strength Bar (Imported from US) £472.54 ($622.48)
    Rogue 20kg Ohio Power Bar - Black Zinc / Bright Zinc £340.63 ($448.71)

If these were your only three options, at the US prices indicated, which would you choose for the programme, and why?

I’d get a “Bastard Bar” from strength shop uk, only £200 and it’s as good a bar as you’ll get anywhere else.

Iron king UK do some damn good power racks, as good as rogue or anywhere else. They do one for £750 which can be done to your own specs.

I got these for a home gym and had the rack made to 22 inches deep to allow dips to be done. Couldn’t recommend these enough. If your in the UK I wouldn’t buy from overseas when you could get equipment here that’s just as good for a much lower price.

Based on the prices, I'd go Ohio Power. While I like the other two more, I can't say I'd pay an extra $200 more.

Damn, I was hoping this was a thread about pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post

ATX RAM bar - few UK strength trainees use this bar. Black oxide coating, centre knurl. Knurl not overly aggressive. EU indigenous supplier so cost is much less than Rogue:
    Do you use the ATX Ram Bar for Power Cleans or is the knurl too agressive?

starting strength coach development program
    Hi all!

I’m about to start the programme, and will be buying equipment within the next couple of weeks. I’d like to buy from Rogue as the quality and value (at least in USA) seem good. I’ll be going for an R3 power rack and flat bench but yet to decide on the bar.

I’m in the UK so options are limited. From my research the most suitable bar would be the B&R bar, which Rogue EU do not stock, and if I order from the USA site it will cost a total of £460 (about 600 usd!)

Another option is the Ohio Power Bar, which is sold on the EU site. Looks like an awesome bar but the only downside would be the centre knurl when doing the power clean. Just how much of a problem is this? This bar would cost me £380 (about 500 usd)

Are there any other options I should be considering? Any other UK folk here that faced a similar dilemma when choosing a bar?

Any help is appreciated!
    I got the SS bar and bench delivered to the UK. With shipping and taxes the bench was £490 and the bar £430. They are both excellent quality and will last a lifetime if looked after well. Plus I feel like I want to take the opportunity to buy SS stuff since they spend so much time giving expertise away for free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12