starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Bar advice

Default UK Bar advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all!

I’m about to start the programme, and will be buying equipment within the next couple of weeks. I’d like to buy from Rogue as the quality and value (at least in USA) seem good. I’ll be going for an R3 power rack and flat bench but yet to decide on the bar.

I’m in the UK so options are limited. From my research the most suitable bar would be the B&R bar, which Rogue EU do not stock, and if I order from the USA site it will cost a total of £460 (about 600 usd!)

Another option is the Ohio Power Bar, which is sold on the EU site. Looks like an awesome bar but the only downside would be the centre knurl when doing the power clean. Just how much of a problem is this? This bar would cost me £380 (about 500 usd)

Are there any other options I should be considering? Any other UK folk here that faced a similar dilemma when choosing a bar?

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Hi all!

I’m about to start the programme, and will be buying equipment within the next couple of weeks. I’d like to buy from Rogue as the quality and value (at least in USA) seem good. I’ll be going for an R3 power rack and flat bench but yet to decide on the bar.

I’m in the UK so options are limited. From my research the most suitable bar would be the B&R bar, which Rogue EU do not stock, and if I order from the USA site it will cost a total of £460 (about 600 usd!)

Another option is the Ohio Power Bar, which is sold on the EU site. Looks like an awesome bar but the only downside would be the centre knurl when doing the power clean. Just how much of a problem is this? This bar would cost me £380 (about 500 usd)

Are there any other options I should be considering? Any other UK folk here that faced a similar dilemma when choosing a bar?

Any help is appreciated!
    Ohio Power Bar is a great bar and is one of the most popular bars on these forums and for strength lifters in general. You are right that they will be a pain on power cleans because of the aggressive knurl. Another option is the Ohio Bar (non-power variant) the main issue here is no center knurl at all, so it won't be as good on the squat. The .5 mm thinner bar will actually work in your favor on both the deadlift and the power clean though. You're gonna have to to weigh out the pros and cons and decide where you want to make the sacrifice.

Of course there is also the option of a bar from another company that is more widely available in Europe. I can only speak from experience with US brands.

Thanks for your replies! Makes me feel a bit more comfortable as a newbie here.

I should also mention that I am going to be forty years old (a late starter!) in two weeks time, and I do not partake in any sport (keen cyclist though) and maybe this affects how important a part the power clean would be in my routine?

I have looked at other brands such as Bulldog Gear, Wolverson, ATX, etc but the quality and literature on the barbells is lacking. Centre knurl is essential.

The Wolverson powerlifting bar is good. The knurl isn’t that aggressive and I’ve used it for power cleans and it was ok - didn’t chew up my hands and it spins quickly enough, absolutely no whip though. It belonged to a guy at my previous gym who benched 300kg with it. Just turned 40 myself and I don’t PC that often now so if I was getting one bar it would be the Wolverson.

I would bear in mind that as a 40-yr-old lifter it is arguable as to whether you should be / need to power clean (i stopped at 38). Even if you are power cleaning for now, it is a minor part of the program - I wouldn’t compromise your equipment for the main lifts.

Get the Ohio Power Bar - it is better than B&R for main lifts - and if you really need to clean, get a cheap beater bar for now.

I’m in the UK and was in pretty much the same place as you initially. What I think you should consider:

ATX RAM bar - few UK strength trainees use this bar. Black oxide coating, centre knurl. Knurl not overly aggressive. EU indigenous supplier so cost is much less than Rogue:

ATX Ram Bar (Powerlifting)

ATX floor mounted power rack - similar to Rogue Monster Light R3. 80x80mm box section. Cheaper than Rogue as indigenous EU supplier. Included in the price swing are safeties and sandwich J hooks and laser cut numbering all of which are superior:

ATX Floor-Mount Power Rack

Optional: Use the money you save on the rack and bar to buy the monolift attachment for benching:

ATX Monolift Attachment (Pair)

For bench if you can handle a ladder adjusting bench this is hard to ignore. I sprung for a Legend rack at reasonable expense but this would likely be better value (wasn’t available when I was buying and I’m not a fan of the ladder adjustment):

Barbarian Line Warrior Adjustable Bench

The website I’ve linked to is run by a guy called Matt - he is super helpful so drop him an email and I’m sure he will help you out.

I’ve been using he ATX rack, bar and monolift for >18mnths with no complaints. It’s a beast!

Also to add The Gym Revolution hasn’t historically done much on Black Friday so you won’t miss out buying nowish. I’ve used Rogue EU (Echo Bike, an issue ordering plates, attempted to order something else) and wasn’t blown away with their service - they have no control as it’s all from the US so most questions they struggle to help with. Matt worked with ATX on a few things for me and generally bent over backwards to help the sale go smoothly.

For plates I have simple rubber coated ones but am looking to upgrade. Best value I think will be Rogue calibrated if they do hundo pricing on Black Friday.

ATX have recently released comp plates but Matt hasn’t added them to his site so no idea how they compare price wise. I think there is also a stainless ATX bar now as well but again not on the site yet. If you’re dropping him an email you could ask about those and let me know what he says

Good luck!

Hey. Regarding the rack, I had looked at this ATX stuff from gym revolution and still I think Rogue is a better option. Including shipping, the rack you linked to would cost me £1100, whereas the tried and tested Rogue R-3 would cost £900. They are both 3mm steel, and I'm not sure anything with 'monster' in the name is necessary as I weigh 69kg and can barely lift my copy of Starting Strength. The bar has a better value proposition, but it looks like I'll end up getting the Ohio Power Bar, as it's pretty much the industry standard. Also, I appreciate USA manufacturing. I can't establish where any of the ATX stuff is made. I'm not particularly frugal and would rather pay slightly more for stuff i'm going to feel happier with, for whatever reason.

starting strength coach development program
    Bars

I was looking at these bars for a home set up. I already use their belt which is good quality.
    There are several Italian manufacturers producing high quality bars, but with a high price. In the end I decided a £10/month gym membership was a more cost effective option. An £800 bar is 80 months, or 6.5 years of lifting, plus all the other stuff needed such as rack, bench, Dumbbells, platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast