Thread: Music while training

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Verboten. Historical amnesia of E&P.
    You know who else relied on historical amnesia?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    You know who else relied on historical amnesia?
    They are above us and among us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I'm curious if other use music while training or prefer the quiet. I'm a late baby boomer who's introverted so I have a strong internal voice that talks to me, (no I don't mean hearing voices, hahaha), so loud music helps silence the chatter and let me completely focus.

Today's selection was Back in Black by AC/DC. What was yours?

Bernie
    Absolutely,

after a total day off of training after almost 80 days training streak I was burning to get back at gym. ZZ Top - Under Pressure, so loud i could possible handle. Got me through the grinder reps.

Don’t mean to hijack this thread but i’ll throwin a related follow up question. What kind of headphones you use while training? I currently use Sony WH-1000XM4 which are simply awesome but pretty heavy. iPod pros is use when doing cardio and haven’t used them with strength training. I’ll try them tomorrow, i think they’ll fall off too easily. Also Apple’s AirPods Max are an interesting newbie to the game. Don’t have them yet but that could be a reason to ask my boss for a pair of new headphones, LOL. Any no chord is the main deal breaker.

I like music over a speaker but I don't like it ear buds or head phones when I train. For me, it's too much noise in my head, which sounds weird I know. I don't know how to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I like music over a speaker but I don't like it ear buds or head phones when I train. For me, it's too much noise in my head, which sounds weird I know. I don't know how to explain it.

Yes, but usually quiet as a church. Sometimes though I’ll have PA columns (1 horn, 2x15”) cranking Boston’s Foreplay etc for Bone Deep Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
    For me its got to be heavy but with some melody (not really into being screamed at) a good decent speed (but not so much I feel like I need to be on drugs to keep up) so for me Disturbed fits the bill quite nicely
    Update: Sabaton has taken the top spot and has pushed Disturbed into a respectable second place

Quote Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
    Update: Sabaton has taken the top spot and has pushed Disturbed into a respectable second place
    I used to listen to metal during lifting, it made me lift like a psycho. Lately though I need the focus only silence can provide, I'm too scared of getting hurt now that I squat past 550 Lbs. All the internal chatter becomes focused for me if I think about the right kinds of things.

I'm in a public gym, so I like some isolation. I'm using a set of Soundcore Liberty Neos with a Fiio M11. The Neos are not their newest but have been serving me will for a couple of years. I'm getting about 20db of isolation, so it cuts down on the noise but let's me hear if there's something important. The M11 has been beat up a few times by dropping my belt, microplates, collars on it so it has some screen damage but keeps on playing. All my music is ripped to FLAC so it's as good as the original source. I can get enough volume to create hearing damage so that's good enough for me.

I'm partial to blue tooth headsets because I have never found a wired one that didn't create noise from the wire rubbing on things.

I tend to shuffle music and unless the track is particularly ambient I’ll lift to whatever is on at the time.

Most of my music library is KISS, Alice Cooper, black sabbath, ac/dc, krokus, with frank sinatra, earth, wind and fire, elo and Brian eno thrown into the mix

starting strength coach development program
    I mostly alternate between 80's thrash and Lynyrd Skynyrd or Molly Hatchet, go figure...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast