starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music while training

Default Music while training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm curious if other use music while training or prefer the quiet. I'm a late baby boomer who's introverted so I have a strong internal voice that talks to me, (no I don't mean hearing voices, hahaha), so loud music helps silence the chatter and let me completely focus.

Today's selection was Back in Black by AC/DC. What was yours?

Bernie

Ac dc is my go to. I like some Metallica. Believe it or not I listen to some wrestlers theme music during sessions. Sitting 8 minutes in between sets while recovering can be boring so I’ll put on the headphones and observe the basketball games going on.

Godsmack - Godsmack (eponymous album)

My go-to

Just stumbled across Bonamassa's Molly-O. Worked pretty well for some heavy squats.

SLAYER!

If it's grindy, then it must be heavy. Otherwise, it can be whatever.

Recently, I've listened alot to extol, a norwegian super-christian group playing heavy metal (YouTube). Their guitarist, Ole Børud, is really good.

Just came over an album by Nick johnston that I really liked (YouTube).

Catch thirtythree by meshuggah is something everyone should give a try (YouTube).

Opeth YouTube YouTube

Dream theater https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx4sh8FXZzA

Steven wilson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UVIpBVVQFk

I find music distracting whilst training. In fact I've considered noise cancelling headphones just to block out the gyms piped musak.
    Learning to meditate with an internals repeated mantra is a good way to silence a chattering mind-keep the mind gently focused on the mantra until the mind chatter begins, notice you are off the mantra and gently bring the mind back to it. 20 minutes sit twice per day for a year is the recommended - eyes closed, comfortable upright sitting position, straight legs with a back rest.

For me it doesn't have to be heavy, but it must have a had driving beat. ZZ Top and Van Halen always work, along with George Thorogood and some of the old Foreigner sometimes. A couple of my stranger ones are Bryan Adams and the Texas Tornados, hahaha. Both provide a strong beat with enough distraction during the rest periods.

I started off tonight with Slayer's Reign in Blood album and then finished it off with Wu Tang Clan's 36 Chambers. My headphones are always on at the gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Greetings:

Me, I take it the other direction completely. My usual go-to's are Snarky Puppy, The B-52's, or surprisingly Banda Magda.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast