starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reset: Why and How

Default The Reset: Why and How

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Rori Alter

"The reset is a common thing that new lifters often misunderstand and misinterpret when navigating the world of strength on their own. You'll need to understand what a reset is, why it’s used, and how and when to implement it in your novice training program."

Read article

This is a really great article!

Rory, great article, clears up a lot of misconceptions. Your bio is outstanding, consider adding more details in your author bio such as where your gym is located. MIGHT help people to reach out to you for coaching.

Very good article. The one exception to the Acute Injury I would suggest is something like tennis elbow, which I am currently discovering benefits from just being worked through.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Very good article. The one exception to the Acute Injury I would suggest is something like tennis elbow, which I am currently discovering benefits from just being worked through.

Thank you

Tendonitis is not an acute injury.

It's a chronic injury and often result from improper technique and/or poor loading progression.

I wouldn't suggest plowing through a tendonitis but rather resolving the underlying cause (usually technical or programming related...most often a combination of both) this does often require a reset to fix technical issues so the reset could apply in your case. You can review my views on that in this article Treat The Issues, Not The Tissues — Progressive Rehab and Strength

Thank you! And thank you for the recommendation. When I was asked for my bio I didn't know what it was being used for so next time I submit an article I'll see if we can change the bio to link to my website. Good idea. Appreciate it.

Thanks for that clarification Rori. I was actually wondering the same thing as I was typing. But I figured I’d learn either way!

Great article. One comment: For those of us over 65, who are intermediates, a one week layoff may require a reset. I was just off for exactly one week due to not wanting to spread my cold germs around the gym via the barbell (and feeling like shit!). I couldn't repeat the weights from the last week's lifts. I just squeaked by by doing 4 sets of 3 or using my last warmup weight for my work sets. Next time I'm off for a full week, I'll just program in a small reset.

I'm not old, but I'm not young anymore, either.

Gene

starting strength coach development program
    I really enjoyed this article. I'm currently going through form creep and missed reps after two and a half months of NLP. This article made it clear on what I should do next. Please write more, Rori! This is awesome. work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast