starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Reset: Why and How

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm confused on a few points if someone would be kind enough to elaborate? I'm mainly confused on how to implement the reset. I'm unsure of what the %'s listed are referring too.

To clarify, a reset is just one day correct?

Under scenario 4, "When it does, you should reset 5% and make day 2 a light squat day (80% of Day 1’s load for 5 reps × 2 sets)."

So, "reset 5%", does that mean I reduce my weight per rep by 5% and that's it? That's what I would assume but the 80% information throws me off. Is the light squat day something you would do every week I'm assuming Wednesday? What is day 1? Like the first workout day of the week?

And then "80% of day 1's load" when referring to load is that specifically weight per rep or is that 80% of reps which would be the 5 x 2? Or is it implying that on the light squat days I reduce the weight per rep by 20% and still do 5 x 2?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alilgoat View Post
    I'm confused on a few points if someone would be kind enough to elaborate? I'm mainly confused on how to implement the reset. I'm unsure of what the %'s listed are referring too.

To clarify, a reset is just one day correct?

Under scenario 4, "When it does, you should reset 5% and make day 2 a light squat day (80% of Day 1’s load for 5 reps × 2 sets)."

So, "reset 5%", does that mean I reduce my weight per rep by 5% and that's it? That's what I would assume but the 80% information throws me off. Is the light squat day something you would do every week I'm assuming Wednesday? What is day 1? Like the first workout day of the week?

And then "80% of day 1's load" when referring to load is that specifically weight per rep or is that 80% of reps which would be the 5 x 2? Or is it implying that on the light squat days I reduce the weight per rep by 20% and still do 5 x 2?

Thank you.
    It means reset your work set weights 5%. Let's say you were stuck at 300, you'd reset to 285 for your working weight. So you'd do 285x5x3 on Monday, and then Wednesday would be 2 sets of 5 at 80% of that weight, so 230. Friday you'd do 290x5x3. The following Monday is 295x5x3, Wednesday is 235x5x2, and Friday is 300x5x3, and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    It means reset your work set weights 5%. Let's say you were stuck at 300, you'd reset to 285 for your working weight. So you'd do 285x5x3 on Monday, and then Wednesday would be 2 sets of 5 at 80% of that weight, so 230. Friday you'd do 290x5x3. The following Monday is 295x5x3, Wednesday is 235x5x2, and Friday is 300x5x3, and so on and so forth.
    Thanks.

Great article. However, I remain unsure of two things.

1. How quickly would you recommend increasing the weight to get back up to the weight that you stalled at? For example, I have stalled on Bench Press at 100kg 3x5. From around 80kg, I have been progressing by 0.5kg per session. In this scenario, I reset by 5% to 95kg. Do I progress using 0.5kg increases.... Baring in mind I can lift 99kg 3x5 fine. Therefore, in theory, I could jump 2.5kg per session and be back up to stall weight in two sessions. I’m thinking it should be 0.5kg in this example and whichever weight you were progressing with before you stalled more generally?

2. Having switched to 5 sets of 3 on a particular exercise, do you then remain on 5 sets of 3, or switch back to 3 sets of 5 once you get through the stall weight? Do you ever revert back to 3 sets of 5 in the linear progression period once you have reset to 5 sets of 3?

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    5% under 40, 10% over 40, how much of a drop do you suggest of one is over 65?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12