starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Default Advice Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted this in the training logs forum but want to make sure I get more eyes on it because I would appreciate some advice.

W4 D1 Completed all warm-up and work sets.

Squat 240
    Bench 170
    Dead 235

1. Dead are really starting to test my grip. I'm still using a double overhand grip. I control the weight down every rep and had been able to keep the same group for all 5 work reps but have had to readjust with a short pause after 3 reps the last 2 sessions. Still able to finish.

2. My app recommended that I consider adding chins to my sessions. I know it knows how much I weigh. Can fat 325lb'rs do chins. I tried a few weeks ago to see how much I could lift myself. I just hung there lol. I guess I can try again.

3. My squats are feeling really heavy right now. My form has become sloppier than I would prefer. I'm thinking about deloading and changing my incremental increases to 5 lbs. Pretty sure about the deload. Less sure about the increment change.

Thank you.

A 325-pound man with a 235-pound deadlift who has completed all his work sets does not need a deload, unless your objective is to remain terribly weak. But light weights are certainly easier, so I understand the appeal. Are you using chalk? Chins are obviously out until you lose 75 pounds of bodyfat.

Yes. I use chalk.

To be clear, I don't want to deload my deads. It was my squats that I was thinking about doing that on. Bullet 3 is about squats.

Thank you.

Couple more details:

1. In regard to my grip, I may have a touch of tennis elbow that affects my grip. It has gotten much better since I've been lifting as long as I ignore curls.

2. In regards to my squats, I have not been using a belt. Perhaps it is time to find one my size. I didn't think the weight was that much yet, but if course, I'm adding my extra body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    Couple more details:

1. In regard to my grip, I may have a touch of tennis elbow that affects my grip. It has gotten much better since I've been lifting as long as I ignore curls.

2. In regards to my squats, I have not been using a belt. Perhaps it is time to find one my size. I didn't think the weight was that much yet, but if course, I'm adding my extra body weight.
    Use a belt. Belts are magical.

So then, mixed grip or hook grip.

My squats are feeling really heavy right now. I'm thinking about ... and changing my incremental increases to 5 lbs.
    Do this immediately.
    Also, how may days per week are you deadlifting?

3 days per week.

Yes. I use chalk.

To be clear, I don't want to deload my deads. It was my squats that I was thinking about doing that on. Bullet 3 is about squats.
    I was using your deadlift as a marker for your strength. You do not need a deload unless your squats are 3 inches high.

starting strength coach development program
    Switch to a mixed or hook grip for the DL. There is no reason to stall your DL out because of grip strength. Your DOH grip strength will improve as your overall DL strength improves. Usually novice guys start having trouble with DOH somewhere in the mid-200 lb range so it's pretty normal. Just switch. Get some technique advice in the SSC Coaches forum for the Squat. If you need to deload a little bit on the squat to clean up technique that is fine, but you don't need a huge deload unless you're way high. FWIW, if you are super overweight and have a very large gut, depth can be an issue. With my trainees, it's a judgement call. If they're a half inch or an inch high BUT consistent with depth, I'll often let it slide for a while. Ideally they are cleaning up the diet during this process and losing some body fat and I'll work on getting them to proper depth over time as body comp improves. I generally don't find this to be an issue as dropping from 325 to 275 or even 250 isn't really going to compromise strength. Chins are a way off for you. If you want some lat/arm work, hit some lat pulldowns after you DL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast