starting strength gym

Thread: Early Stage Novice plus HITT Question

Default Early Stage Novice plus HITT Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    54 yr old male 5.10 198 lbs.

I have been doing a very basic version of the novice for 4 weeks (Squat/Bench/Deadlift) - just starting my 5th.

(I think I've figured out a way to do standing presses in my short basement so I'm changing my workout.)

I'm planning to add the standing press and olympic movement to the program and follow the A/B/A then B/A/B schedule.

Current figures:
    Squat 170 (with 5 lbs jumps)
    Benches 142.5 (with 2.5 lbs jumps)
    Dead Lift 200 (with 5 lbs jumps)
    Back "swings" - the correct phrase eludes me - basically laying facedown on a piece of equipment - dropping forward and then bringing your body back up.

(I'm taking this slow - I probably will add 10 lbs to the deadlift with the revised program since I will have 2 days (or longer) between dead lifts)

From my readingof Barbell Prescription (and some articles on the site) - I get the sense that HITT on the days between lifting is a smart idea. "Active rest" appears to be the phrase. I have no concept if it is too early to be adding HITT to my program. While I do dream of a Prowler one day (when warmer weather arrives), my HITT thoughts would be on a stationary bike. 20 seconds "hard" 1 minute 40 seconds "slow" - repeat 7 times.

Thoughts/Advice?

Rick in St Louis

I thought the same thing until I read the programming section. No HIIT until intermediate programming.

That said, I'm still doing 6-9 short (30s) sprints per week, but that isn't recommended and I'll eliminate them when my squat is strong enough to get my heart rate up in a comparable way.
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 12-17-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks - that makes sense (along with simplifying the process.)

Funny how a person can misread fairly clear information. When I started SS, I did all 5 of the exercises each session. (Oops)

Rick

Adam is more-or-less correct. We like to introduce HIIT after novice has run its course. HIIT is not "active rest."

For very deconditioned or obese athletes, we sometimes introduce HIIT earlier, late middle or late novice phase.

Rick, Sully pretty much gave you the final answer. You don’t want to risk your LP progress with HIT right now. You will likely compromise your recovery. The name of the game in getting stronger is adequate recovery and disciplined programming. There will be a time and place for your HIT, it may not be right now,