starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure which way to go

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    I'm just a couple of years younger than you..two big issues for our age group:

1) Recovery. I'm on a 4 day split, which provides a lot of recovery time. Each exercise only once per week.
    2) Protein supplements. I found that when I quit them, I started running out of energy and failing lifts.
    Do you find you can still make progress when you do the four day split?

This is kind-of what I'm trying to figure out: what's the best way forward as I approach what I think is the "novice" limit? I'm reading BBRx for the third time and am just not sure what the right choice might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

What's your belly measurement ?
    Too damn big.

38 waist jeans are now baggy on me. My suits (48R) are too big. Still a big belly though.

Quote Originally Posted by flatcat View Post
    Too damn big.

38 waist jeans are now baggy on me. My suits (48R) are too big. Still a big belly though.
    Measure accurately around your waist at belly button level with a tailors tape. Don't pull too tight, nor try to pull you stomach in. If it's approaching, or past 40 inches then shedding a bit of weight is fine, but do it on an inclined tread mill not by all those warm up reps. It's a fine line between shedding inches and getting strong.

Do you find you can still make progress when you do the four day split?
    Yes. In fact, I find that I can make progress with as long as a 14 day cycle. But the four day split, 7 day cycle is very common amongst intermediate programs, such as 5-3-1.

I will point out that your upper body lifts seem very low compared with your lower body; my squat and DL are about 10% higher, but my bench is about double and my OP 50% higher.

Agree with this. I had the same issue myself was at 40" (wore 36" jeans) and had to cut. Right now I'm down to 37". By the way we don't talk about how much we lift when we're cutting; It's the first rule of the cut club.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Measure accurately around your waist at belly button level with a tailors tape. Don't pull too tight, nor try to pull you stomach in. If it's approaching, or past 40 inches then shedding a bit of weight is fine, but do it on an inclined tread mill not by all those warm up reps. It's a fine line between shedding inches and getting strong.
    Agree with this. I had the same issue myself was at 40" (wore 36" jeans) and had to cut. Right now I'm down to 37". By the way we don't talk about how much we lift when we're cutting; It's the first rule of the cut club.

I will point out that your upper body lifts seem very low compared with your lower body; my squat and DL are about 10% higher, but my bench is about double and my OP 50% higher.
    Yes, I have never quite known what to do about this. For a while I was trying to use a lat pull thing to help strengthen my arms. One problem is my left shoulder - I tore a rotator cuff some years back and it has never been the same. I get out-and-out pain - not muscle soreness but pain - inside my left shoulder when I push hard.

So I guess what I was saying with this post is I don't have a good bead on which intermediate program to transition into. How did you make a decision about what worked for you?

So I guess what I was saying with this post is I don't have a good bead on which intermediate program to transition into. How did you make a decision about what worked for you?
    The most common intermediate you hear around here is the Texas Method, but it's not good for those with recovery issues. 5-3-1 is a very popular intermediate program with much better recovery.

Andy Baker observes that it doesn't provide enough volume for some people and he has a somewhat similar program 8-5-2, but he does sets across, rather than ramping up.

starting strength coach development program
    The most common intermediate you hear around here is the Texas Method, but it's not good for those with recovery issues. 5-3-1 is a very popular intermediate program with much better recovery.

Andy Baker observes that it doesn't provide enough volume for some people and he has a somewhat similar program 8-5-2, but he does sets across, rather than ramping up.
    I used to do 5-3-1 with the "boring but big" assistance lifts. It was a ton of volume (which I enjoyed) and suited me well when i was younger. It may still, actually. Since then, I got a custom program from Andy Baker, his Garage Gym Warrior program, and many programs in Barbell Prescription. I'm going to have to choose one and stick with it after I finish my latest run at novice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast