starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift butt pain

Default Deadlift butt pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm asking on here probably because it's been asked before.

So i have struggled with replacing the low bar squat for quite some time. I have really tight shoulders, and some sort of issue( i've gone to the doctor 3-4 times, and haven't got much other than don't lift anything heavy over my head.....which is stupid). I think its tendonothopy. Looking back, i had the bar way to low on my shoulders. I've tried to fix my grip, but it just wasn't happening, i still felt clicking in my shoulders when positioning myself for the low bar squat. Anyways, i've tried front squats, i've tried safety bar squats, and nothing hits the posterior chain like the low bar squat. Well i finally messed around with the cambered bar, with an altered grip for low bar squats...and they felt amazing.

however before i tried it, i was just hitting deadlifts for 5x5 for about 3 months. i've lowered my volume, but i have ran into a problem with deadlifts even at 1x5 (with warm ups). I feel a clicking in my left buttock when deadlifting. It hurts probably a 3 out of 10. Any ideas?

"Pain is weakness leaving the body..."

Here's why this is true:
    Your body is perfectly content with its current state of relative weakness. The perception of discomfort (pain) is your mind's way of rejecting the deliberate attempt to disrupt this contentment. The only way to get stronger is by disrupting homeostasis via appropriate application of stress / recovery / adaptation. The only way to disrupt homeostasis is to cause your body and mind discomfort. The only way to continually cause discomfort is to elevate your tolerance of discomfort. You must force your body to adapt.

More bluntly:

Either stop whining or stop trying to get stronger...

Jesus christ, just trying to get some advice on form. It obviously didnt hurt that bad. I just wanted to make sure im not doing something wrong and end up injuring myself. If it was sore i wouldnt post about it. But it was a clicking, and so far the PT i've gone to sucks, so i though id ask on here, because the PTs/coaches here generally dont subscribe to the "if its sore, dont use it" mantra. So again i ask, any ideas what a clicking pain in my ass is during a deadlift might be?

For advice on form I would recommend posting a video in the "Technique" or "Starting Strength Staff Coaches Q&A" boards...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nichols View Post
    Jesus christ, just trying to get some advice on form. It obviously didnt hurt that bad. I just wanted to make sure im not doing something wrong and end up injuring myself. If it was sore i wouldnt post about it. But it was a clicking, and so far the PT i've gone to sucks, so i though id ask on here, because the PTs/coaches here generally dont subscribe to the "if its sore, dont use it" mantra. So again i ask, any ideas what a clicking pain in my ass is during a deadlift might be?
    What is in this area that could produce a clicking sensation?

sciatic nerve i'm guessing. I don't have any sort of sharp or shooting pain. I figured it was some sort inflexibility that might be fixed by a form check.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nichols View Post
    sciatic nerve i'm guessing. I don't have any sort of sharp or shooting pain. I figured it was some sort inflexibility that might be fixed by a form check.
    Agree on the form check being necessary.

I'd disagree with the sciatic nerve causing the clicking. We are probably more than likely looking at the SI Joint or one of the major bursae in the glute region being the culprit.