starting strength gym

Thread: Returning from a long layoff

Default Returning from a long layoff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi team,

I started strength training again about a month ago after a 3 year leave. When I stopped lifting I had taken up the SS program for about 2 months and experienced some decent gains after several years spinning my wheels. Where I ended and where I'm at now is as follows:

Previously: 33 years old
    6'2 190 lbs.
    Squat 335 3x5
    Bench 215 3x5
    Press 140 3x5
    DL 375 3x5

Now: age 36
    6'2 175
    Squat 235 3x5
    Bench 155 3x5
    Press 100 3x5
    DL 265 3x5

Oouch! I'm determined to get back to where I was as a medium term goal however I'm not sure if I should keep up SS again for as long as possible or other? Is the effect lost? The other caveat is iam paying recreational hockey 1-2 times per week. Any suggestions on the best way to move forward would be appreciated. I know I need to comtinue to eat!

Thanks!

Cullen

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by robber82 View Post
    however I'm not sure if I should keep up SS again for as long as possible or other? Is the effect lost?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about the novice linear progression?

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that's what I was referring to. I was hoping somebody had experience with this scenario, working with someone after a long layoff. Very simply I guess my question is, will linear progression still work well for me, and is it the best program to get back on track, even though I've already gone through this once before? There was a couple times years ago when I had a few weeks or perhaps a few months off I would come back and gains came back extremely quick, the "muscle memory" thing.

Hey,
    Yes, I think after a layoff that running an LP back up is a fine idea. You may find that you're able to take bigger jumps than before or may be able to surpass where you left off on your previous LP. Also consider that you're 15lbs lighter, and make sure you're eating for sustained performance.
    Good luck!