starting strength gym

Thread: Newb - Technique Plates for Dead Lift?

Default Newb - Technique Plates for Dead Lift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am starting out and learned about Technique Plates.. They are not available at my gym. Is there a workaround or is it ok to just start lower to the ground?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    scott

Describe yourself. Height/weight/age/physical impairments.

My gym has a few foam pads I use to bring the bar up to about the right height. Easy to do, just use 45s to measure the height.

67 yo endurance oriented. 160#, 5'7". Right side (dominant) complete AC separation ( https://www.stmarysmaine.com/media/I...seperation.png ) Injury happened ~ 6 years ago. Got to 135# using SS app after 1 month (10# increases) and had difficulty. Thank you for the reply.

Good suggestion, easy to implement. Thank you. scott

I used ten pound bumper plates when coming back from surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by SBFree View Post
    67 yo endurance oriented. 160#, 5'7". Right side (dominant) complete AC separation ( https://www.stmarysmaine.com/media/I...seperation.png ) Injury happened ~ 6 years ago. Got to 135# using SS app after 1 month (10# increases) and had difficulty. Thank you for the reply.
    You should be able to start with the 10kg bumper plates. I'd be disappointed if you couldn't do this.

With the unrepaired AC separation, you shouldn't be pulling from a deficit. Use hitechplates (hitechplates.com) or 10kg bumpers as Rip suggests to begin your warmups, or at least elevate the bar as Adam suggests. A few more weeks of training and you should be able to warm up at 135.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mr. Rippetoe and others. I backed down my work-set weight from 135# to 110# and will make another approach to 135# by getting my warm up reps with the bar at the height as the center of a 45# plate. I hadn't considered this might help until I had failure at 135#. I am also going to use 5# increases instead of 10#. That should get me there just after the new year. I don't quite have enough experience to understand if missing the contribution of the Trapezius, as it supports the end of the Clavicle, is making a difference or not. The center of the Deltoid seems to be the only muscle picking up the weight bearing across the top of the shoulder. Maybe I was just psyched out by looking at my first pair of 45# plates. Thanks again.
    scott