starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Apinion

Default 2nd Apinion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I visited my Doctor for my annual physical yesterday. He continues to want me on statin drugs. I have been saying no for many years. He said just because things look good on the outside doesn't mean everything on the inside is OK. I said the only reason is because of my age (68) and sex (M). This time he is a little more insistent and states that they would mitigate the potential for rupture of the arterial calcification I have. My Agatston Score is 229. All the calcification is on the left side. This was about two years ago. I am right in the middle (53%) of the percentile for my age. Of course he played with the heart strings! Your Grandkids depend and need you!

I have "heard" that statin drugs are not good for muscle (and the heart is one). He said not every one experiences muscle pain. I am not sure if that is the only side effect?

My blood work from a year ago is:

HGBA1C 5.6
    Ave Blood Sugar 114
    Cholesterol 187
    Triglyceride 71
    HDL 41
    Cholesterol - Non- HDL 146
    LDL 137

Since training these have fallen into the "normal" range although at the upper end of it.

I do not have blood work yet for this year. Next week sometime. It should be interesting!

I have no trouble with workouts but the last couple of weeks fatigue has been so bad on a couple days I have had to skip a workout. I think this is due more to lack of sleep, poor eating, and a hard training session the day before. Oh! and of course watching Grandkids.

This is not a question about to train or not to train. But do statins really mitigate the possibility of an arterial rupture (if that is the correct terminology?)? Should I make considerations to training in light of this?

68 YO
    Male
    5'7"
    170 lbs

Thurs workout - worksets

Squats 205x5x3 (paused)
    Press 115x3x5
    Bench press 185X3X3 I did these because I missed them on Tues.

Monday was squat and deadlift

Squat 245x3x2 (rate RPE here) 235x3x2 225x3
    Rack pulls 250x4x2

Off to the gun range to punish some paper!

THANKS!
    Paul

Or a second Opinion!

Hi Paulbfast, you may find this book to be an interesting read...

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Cholest.../dp/1592335217

How long have you been training? Is this statin salesman your cardiologist or a GP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How long have you been training? Is this statin salesman your cardiologist or a GP?
    15 Months
    GP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post
    Hi Paulbfast, you may find this book to be an interesting read...

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Cholest.../dp/1592335217
    Thanks! My ratios are not bad.

CRP Test done about a year ago was 1.0.

I forgot the good news. Doctor took prediabetic off my chart!

Waist circumference - 36 at the bellybutton.

I take no prescription drugs at this time. I want to keep it that way!

Thanks again.

That blood lab data is stale if you've been training 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    I forgot the good news. Doctor took prediabetic off my chart!
    Merciful of him. He's a wonderful man. Gain 10 pounds and enjoy your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That blood lab data is stale if you've been training 15 months.
    I should have waited until the new blood work was in. I expect very little change.

Only 10 pounds!

THANKS!

Only 10 pounds now. I mean immediately.

Statins : numbers needed to treat and personal decision-making | The BMJ

Here's a link to a letter in the British Medical Journal about decision making around statins. It includes the concept 'Number Needed to Treat' NNT, which, as you might expect, is an estimate of the number of people who would need to be treated with a drug, or a surgery, for 1 person to benefit. I don't think many non-medics are familiar with this idea, which basically implies that only a minority of patients actually benefit, in a statistical sense, from a particular treatment. The reverse Number Needed to Harm is an estimate of how many people will suffer unwanted or harmful effects of treatment, which in the case of statins is about 1 in 10 who will experience muscle aches or injury.
    Your doctors can advise you about treatment but the decision is down to you. I don't take statins either but try to eat lots of greens and fruit, use fish oil supplements to improve my omega 3 intake, which I believe is beneficial based on epidemiological evidence. I also follow a strength training program to optimise my muscle mass and metabolic activity - and because it puts me in charge of my own health and fitness
    Regards,
    Dr Mike

starting strength coach development program
    You're doing better than me. If I had 187 and not much plaque, I'd definitely stay off them.

I'm currently on them, but trying to get off. Last blood check was 123 with my dosage halved. I'll probably get one of those virtual heart scans (the ones they sell on billboards around here for $59). If that shows me far away enough from blockage, I'll drop them.

I think that they make me dumber and affect my short term memory. Or, that could just be age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast