starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm up issue or psychological

Default Warm up issue or psychological

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a complete novice when it comes to lifting as I am just beginning my 9th week of LP but I had a question.

The issue seems to only be isolated to squats which makes me think it might just be a warm up issue but what happens is that my first working set is always the most difficult and the remaining two sets actually appear to be easier to lift.

Here is what I did this morning for squat (all in pounds):
    • 2x5 Empty Bar
    • 1x5 105
    • 1x3 160
    • 1x2 210
    • 3x5 265 (working set)

Breaks between warm up sets is equal to the amount of time it takes to adjust the weights except for the final warm up, there I'll take 5 minutes. And I'll do 5 minutes between working sets as that seems to be the amount of time for me to be ready to go again. The first couple weeks I did 3 minutes, but it just wasn't cutting it once I got to 240ish.

This equates to, approximately due to being limited to 2.5 pound weights, 40%, 60%, 80% of working sets (following the stretching/loosening with the empty bar). Just to give some perspective, my initial starting weight for squats was 145 so I'm up 120 pounds now. It should be higher but with getting the flu and with kids getting sick, I've missed a handful of sessions.

If this is only psychological due to being a novice, then I'm not too worried about it, but I know injuries can occur if I'm not warmed up properly and thus the post.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

IMO, I think the "resting a full five minutes after the last warmup (210x2)" is a mistake.
    You might be cooling off. That's really not enough load to cause THAT much fatigue.
    I just switch weights and wait like 30 sec or so and then do the first workset.

3x5 should be somewhere around 80% working load.
    210# is your case is only 65% or so....for two reps.
    There's not THAT much fatigue from a double at 65%.

Thanks, Fulcrum!

I was suspecting that might be an issue as well and I don't know why I have chosen to have the same wait following the last warm up set.

I know the weight really isn't that much, but that definitely drives me to keep on the program and adding weight to the bar.

In terms of the 80%, 212 would be 80% of 265, so I was just slightly under that benchmark. On Wednesday I'll give your method a shot and see if it is I'm just waiting too long after the last warm up set.

If I were you, I’d add a single after my double. I don’t find I cool off so much waiting for the first working set if I take a rest, and your issue sounds more like you just aren’t getting warmed up enough. Squats are the first exercise of the day, so these are the only warmups during which you’re actually getting warmer. You should be sweating a little by the time you start your work sets.

Are you training in a cold environment?

Hi,

I think that if your working weight is 265, the last warm up should be heavier than 210. I would go for a single at 240, pushing as fast as possible out of the hole.

IPB

Erik,

The environment is not particularly cold, though getting from the house to the gym is chilly (2 minute drive and it's 32 degrees outside, so no time for heater in car).

Additionally, I'm a complete fat ass right now (5'10 315). By the time I'm nearing my last warm up set, I'm dripping with sweat. I may also add a single after the double to see if that happens (along with Fulcrum's suggestion).

Quote Originally Posted by crop9 View Post
    ... my first working set is always the most difficult and the remaining two sets actually appear to be easier to lift...
    This is not unusual for new lifters. The center of mass of the lifter-barbell system moves slightly between 210 and 265 so there will be slight changes to technique that might be taking your first set of 5 to "groove in". Also if you are in LP you have just put a weight on your back that is heavier than anything you've ever done before. Seems plausible that there are psychological impacts to this that are cleared up by completing your first set. Focus on your form and make sure your approach, setup, and squat are practiced with the same consistency in your warm ups that you use in your work sets.

If I were warming up for 265, I'd do 45 x 5 x 2, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, and then work sets. It is normal for the first set of 5 to feel worse than the second and third sets.

I don’t know the answer to your question as to why; but I do recall that during my NLP, the second set most always seemed easier. Pretty much still the case with my intermediate programming as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If I were warming up for 265, I'd do 45 x 5 x 2, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, and then work sets. It is normal for the first set of 5 to feel worse than the second and third sets.
    Thanks, Coach Rip! And everyone! I think I'll had 5 pounds to the last warm up (230) for Wednesday when I do 270 and lower the pause time afterwards (prior to work set).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast