starting strength gym

Thread: TT Genotype

Default TT Genotype

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

I was curious as to whether anyone had an opinion on whether training methods should be tailored to one's gene type? I recently had 23andme results come in and one thing I noticed was that I have a TT genotype. Apparently, very few if any people with that genotype reach the elite level of competition whether in track and field or power-lifting. How big of an impact will this have on me? Does anyone have any idea as to how much of a limitation this is? While I'm not looking to win any gold medals I would like to add a considerable amount of muscle to my body. Hoping to one day squat 300 lbs for example.

Quote Originally Posted by mverve View Post
    Hello all,

I was curious as to whether anyone had an opinion on whether training methods should be tailored to one's gene type? I recently had 23andme results come in and one thing I noticed was that I have a TT genotype. Apparently, very few if any people with that genotype reach the elite level of competition whether in track and field or power-lifting. How big of an impact will this have on me? Does anyone have any idea as to how much of a limitation this is? While I'm not looking to win any gold medals I would like to add a considerable amount of muscle to my body. Hoping to one day squat 300 lbs for example.
    Yeah.

DTFP.

Even hardgainers have overcome their limitations. You can too.

While I'm not looking to win any gold medals I would like to add a considerable amount of muscle to my body. Hoping to one day squat 300 lbs for example.
    Age, weight, height, current training numbers & training history? These are where you might better focus attention to hit your first round of goals.

40 years old. These are the reps I am currently working on.

Squat: 230
    Deadlift: 260
    Bench: 195
    Overhead Press: 120

I have been using the starting strength program for about three months. Have trained for about a year before SS using a different program.

Genetically, you may or may not get to elite levels, but if your goal is a 300 lb squat, you can definitely hit it and excede it by a large margin. Just do the plan and be consistent.

40 years old. These are the reps I am currently working on.

Squat: 230
    Deadlift: 260
    Bench: 195
    Overhead Press: 120

I have been using the starting strength program for about three months. Have trained for about a year before SS using a different program.
    height weight?

I assume you are talking about the ACTN3 gene for muscle fiber type. Yes, the TT genotype is “uncommon among elite power athletes,” but that means that there are some elite athletes with TT, and there are also some lazy slobs with the “good” CC type.

I also am TT for this gene. I’m 48 (5’7”, 190lbs), have been training for just over a year, with no previous weight lifting of any consequence, and I can currently squat over 300 lbs.

So you can too.

Do the SSNLP, find a good intermediate program after that, and you’ll lift more than you ever thought you could.

Your ACTN3 genotype is much less important than your motivation, consistency, and program. It may be the factor that keeps you from setting world records, though. Sorry about that.

People are coming with more and more complex excuses to not do the program everyday.
    Genetic mapping? Now THAT I did not expect.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    If you want to be a world champion lifter, you should probably rethink your life goals in light of your gene mapping. If you don’t aspire to that, then run LP until you can’t (actually can’t, not “it’s getting really hard” can’t), and then transition to some type of intermediate program and keep getting stronger. Really, this isn’t complicated...people transition to intermediate at different times, but the underlying principles are universally applicable.