starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Canundrum

Default Squat Canundrum

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I am working on my shoulder mobility with the hope of eventually being able to low bar squat. Right now, the pain in my L shoulder is too much.
    In the meantime I am using a SSB. The upright posture is forcing my knees farther forward causing anterior knee pain. Should I stop using my lifting shoes and go back to chuck's until I can low bar squat? What can O do to mitigate the knee pain? Looking forward to some advice.

Have you tried a high bar squat?

How long should it normally take doing hightbar squats until immobile shoulders stretch out enough to fit into the lowbar hold? I’m stretching like hell every day and I cannot get in the proper position.

I don't have a good answer for this. I've gotten a few people down there and comfortable within a few sessions, with others it can take.....well, much much longer. Many times it's a big enough issue that we just go with high bar and quit trying to force the issue. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Some people cannot low bar.

Good info ,I’m going to keep trying though. I’m a stubborn bastard

Andy, yes, I even struggle with that. My mobility is significantly impaired due to injury and scar tissue. I'm working in it and it's getting better. Isn't the SSB essentially the same as a high bar squat?

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Andy, yes, I even struggle with that. My mobility is significantly impaired due to injury and scar tissue. I'm working in it and it's getting better. Isn't the SSB essentially the same as a high bar squat?
    My recollection is the SSB creates a movement pattern that is somewhere between a high bar back squat and a front squat.

SSB Squat is a unique movement that needs to be practiced, but yes, it can be an effective alternative for a guy with immobile shoulders. Same rules still apply as in all squats......mid foot, blah blah blah, etc

I have the same problem. It has taken me more than a year and I am still no there, but I'm close. I have a long ratan karate stick that I am using most days even on my off days. I start with a wide grip and use the corner of a wall to slide my grip in.

The first year was unbearable pain but I'm too stupid to stop. I took 3 month of the end of 2018, started again Jan 1 and am 85% there.

I have also tried ducking under my bar on the squat rack, it just does not work well for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Andy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast