starting strength gym

Thread: Rows and chins.

Default Rows and chins.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For those of y’all who do rows and chins on the same day. Do you do your rows first or your chins?
    My working set for rows was 225 and after I feel a bit fatigued for my chins, was only able to get 6 for body weight when I normally squeak out 10.
    Also on my second and 3rd set of chins I decided to add a 5 pound plate and was able to do more than I could with my body weight (8 with good form and 1 dismal failure) That was odd to me.

Why would you do both on the same day? So that the second exercise in line is done badly?

I was following the app. My shoulders are kinda banged so I replaced the cleans with rows. This was my first day doing it this way, the chins had been following my power cleans and were improving. Would you suggest moving them to the deadlift day instead?

My advice would be:
    - Don't do rows
    If you disagree
    - Don't do both at the same day
    If you disagree
    - Do chins first because chins are more useful

Quote Originally Posted by Harlon Muncy View Post
    I was following the app. My shoulders are kinda banged so I replaced the cleans with rows. This was my first day doing it this way, the chins had been following my power cleans and were improving. Would you suggest moving them to the deadlift day instead?
    My thoughts on programming the exercises are in this book: Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

I just don't understand why people are so intimidated by the damn thing. Recording it for an audio book now.

Duly noted. Buying it now. I’m still in the novice phase so was waiting. In other news all my lifts are going up 5 pounds each workout like they should. And the squats are helping my knee pain from a pcl replacement/ lateral corner fix I had last year. Dead’s are helping the back pain. I’m overall happy with progress , just want to do it right. Going to see a coach soon to help me with the powerclean I keep fucking up.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't speak to the app, but my understanding of the NLP setup is that cleans and chins aren't performed on the same day, so I would assume that if you've substituted rows for cleans, then the rows wouldn't be done on the same day as chins either.