starting strength gym

Thread: Why You Should Stop Stretching at the Gym | Robert Novitsky

Default Why You Should Stop Stretching at the Gym | Robert Novitsky

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nearly every community has its myths that tend to go unquestioned, and the fitness world is no stranger to them. Whether it's myths surrounding when to eat for maximum protein synthesis, the endless health fads that claim to solve all your problems, or the various supplements that are supposed to give you that extra edge, the fitness world is littered with misinformation.

Read more

Does that call into question stretching under the bar prior to LBS ?

Obviously not.

I love this article. I see it is a new author and it fits right in with the great work posted by others.
    I'm trying to anticipate all of the questions my athletes will ask as I tell them (yet again) not to stretch on my time. I can think of only one exception and that is an athlete that was literally hit by a car and can't get into the squat position without stretching.
    Everyone else mimics the "best" athlete in the room who stretches because that's what an olympian, professional athlete, or national team coach said was best. Therefore, it must be.
    In a way, coaching genetic lottery winners is more of a challenge than coaching my fellow bungled and botched everymen. Instead of spending time trying to get an athlete into the correct position for a movement, you fight the gifted athlete's desire to have a bespoke program delivered in a 1 on 1 setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    Everyone else mimics the "best" athlete in the room who stretches because that's what an olympian, professional athlete, or national team coach said was best. Therefore, it must be.
    It's a huge problem, not just in your weight room.

What is your view on foam rolling and lacrosse ball work? Helpful or no?

I don't think it's helpful to me, but if you are in the habit, it's helpful to you.

Great article.

What's the current state of the evidence as regards stretching AFTER lifting? I recall reading about post-training stretching in PPFST, but I can't remember if the message was more along the lines of "yeah, that's helpful" or, "It won't help or hurt, so only do it if you insist".

starting strength coach development program
    Why would you stretch at all? If you lack flexibility, stretch after the workout. If not, just go home.