starting strength gym

Thread: Is this normal NLP?

Default Is this normal NLP?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First off, let me say that I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I've been toying with NLP with Stronglifts and Starting Strength for the better part of 3 years. Unsuccessfully, due to my lack of consistency. Since January, I have stuck with the program and made the following gains:
    33 year old 6'3" Male
    215lbs->225

Squat 115>305 (failed the first time)
    Seated Press 75>132 (My ceilings are too low)
    Bench 140>205 (failed 210 twice and am currently working back up from 195)
    DL 175>355
    Clean 65>130 (havent failed yet, but I am doing 3lb increases instead of 5)

I don't have a goal other than to have a "respectable" level of strength relative to my bodyweight. I am enjoying the gains that I have made but I have a few questions:

1) Is this normal progression for a person of my size?
    2) I failed the squat for the first time last week,
    3) 215 Bench press hurts my shoulder after the first two reps. I have an old AC separation in my left shoulder. 195 doesn't hurt at all. Should I just increase reps at 195/200 (YNDTP), make smaller increases in weight, or add assistance exercises for my shoulder?
    4) Hip flexor hurts during warm up and first set of squats then tends to go away. Is this normal?

You have obviously progressed but you have not been doing the NLP. I would reset and start over. Make sure you are micro-loading on your BP/Press. Keep a log. Follow the programming in PPT3. After 3 months lets see how far you have progressed. Pain is not good, but its normal unfortunately because we are old. Figure out a way to train through it.

What I meant was: After a bunch of false starts, I finally worked up the mental fortitude to stick with a single plan consistently. I have been training 3 times a week since January 27th. I have kept a log on the Starting Strength app. Minus a week layoff due to a work related trip, and 2weeks where I only did 2workouts instead of 3, I have been consistently training. I read SS3 a year ago, and just finished my first read through of PPST3 last week. The intermediate programs seemed great, but I want to make sure I am not being lazy and cheating myself before I switch (as I have been known to do in the past)Screenshot_20190502-165238.jpg

Assuming your numbers are for work sets and not E1RMs, I don’t think this is a bad result for an LP - your numbers have definitely gone up a lot. But have you read Wolf’s post on running out LP? And have you started including a light day squat? If not, there’s probably enough room left for progress that you can get to a stronger result.

And 225 at 6’3” isn’t much for a big strong guy. So that’s another lever to play with.

Understood. My bad. Looks like you are on point. Reset where you are stuck. Micro-load. Longer rests / more food. Move onto advanced novice programming as outlined in PPT3. You can usually stretch out a couple of more months on the NLP this way....effectively resulting in faster gains. Intermediate programming means slower gains. So don't rush the switch. After you exhausted all the advanced novice programming options Andy lays out, you move onto Intermediate Programming. Keep your head in the game. You are progressing this time around. Whatever you do, don't fall for the snake oil RPE bullshit. Hold the line. You'll be squatting 405 by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Assuming your numbers are for work sets and not E1RMs, I don’t think this is a bad result for an LP - your numbers have definitely gone up a lot. But have you read Wolf’s post on running out LP? And have you started including a light day squat? If not, there’s probably enough room left for progress that you can get to a stronger result.

And 225 at 6’3” isn’t much for a big strong guy. So that’s another lever to play with.
    I have not read that post, I will search for it and do the research. I just started including a light squat day this week (Tuesday, April 30th) which is why the number dropped on the chart.

The numbers are for worksets, not 1RMs. I lift by myself in my basement so I doubt I will ever officially test a 1RM for squat or bench press in the near future. I am happy as long as the numbers move up. Much to my dismay though, I failed 305 again last night. Didn't even finish one set of 5. I think that mentally I am starting to lose focus. Any help for that area.

Also, 225 is up 11 lbs for me, and I feel heavy lol. I don't know if I could stand going to far past 230.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fighter2621 View Post
    Much to my dismay though, I failed 305 again last night. Didn't even finish one set of 5. I think that mentally I am starting to lose focus. Any help for that area.
    What did you eat the day before and the day of training? I bet it wasn't enough. The next workout make it a light day and then the workout after hit the 305 again but this time make sure you eat a ton. Lets see what happens.