starting strength gym
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wanted to update my above post - i ended up doing the following workout 3x a week and added 21kg to my bench one rep max in 21 workouts adding 1 kilo each time. Went from 100kg to 121kg for a single.

Program was:
    One Single, but a weight you could actually do for like a triple.
    Then 5x5 at 85% of that single.

That’s it, nice and easy way to keep some quicker gains coming for a while.

I imagine I will eventually progress to changing Wednesday to a light day when the weight gets heavier and then eventually doing the normal Texas method when the weight is heavy enough that workout to workout progress is no longer possible.

Would there be any concern for fatigue from having 4 intensity lifts on Friday with the compressed Texas Method? Would it be worth moving deadlift 5RM to Wednesday, or would that unproductive?

From the article:

"The press will move from novice programming through to advanced programming much sooner than any of the other lifts."

My question is how much sooner? How much should you be able to press before changing your novice programming in this way? 85 lbs? 125 lbs? Assuming squat and deadlift are cruising along, recovery is good, weight jumps are 2.5, and rest between sets is 8 - 10 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    From the article:

"The press will move from novice programming through to advanced programming much sooner than any of the other lifts."

My question is how much sooner? How much should you be able to press before changing your novice programming in this way? 85 lbs? 125 lbs? Assuming squat and deadlift are cruising along, recovery is good, weight jumps are 2.5, and rest between sets is 8 - 10 minutes...
    I believe Nick or some other coach talked about a range between 145lbs and 160lbs (for young males), something like that. This average range seems to be where most people need to change their programming. But of course the number on the bar doesn't matter that much. Answer the first three questions, and if you're doing everything correctly just change programming

The switch to intermediate programming is forced by the fact that you can’t add weight to the bar every workout. That is the SRA cycle needs to be expanded from every few days to 1 week. That can happen at many different numbers based on the individual (body type, height , sex, she, weight , diet, sleep, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Bynon View Post
    Would there be any concern for fatigue from having 4 intensity lifts on Friday with the compressed Texas Method? Would it be worth moving deadlift 5RM to Wednesday, or would that unproductive?
    That's a long ass workout. Spreading it out won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    From the article:

There is no number. Programming changes should be made reluctantly. So change it when you need to provided that:

1. Your form is good
    2. You haven't been missing workouts, and
    3. You've addressed the First Three Questions.

Hey Nick, the article is a fantastic help, I couldn't have found it at a more opportune time.

I'm still getting the most out of my NLP, I'm on some advanced novice programming thanks to the help from the team at SS Orlando. I'm going to give this a try. My only question is can I modify this for my bench? I'm still able to add 2.5 pounds every Bench workout, its at 270 as of Friday. Press is at 167.5 but its starting to get hard. I failed my first set of five at after rep three (admittedly this was due to bar path issues) and then thought I would just do triples, so I completed five sets of three on Friday's workout. It did not feel grindy as opposed to doing sets of five, I was considering switching my press to five triples but after reading through practical programming this now seems to be the wrong path. I know the more practice I would get with the press on the compressed texas method will help me continue to PR.

Anyway my bench keeps going up at 3x5 no problem, I feel I have another four weeks of progress in me, perhaps more, before I have to make some changes. Do you recommend I just switch to the full compressed texas method anyway? I am all for preemptive measures.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNaz42 View Post
    Hey Nick, the article is a fantastic help, I couldn't have found it at a more opportune time.

I'm still getting the most out of my NLP, I'm on some advanced novice programming thanks to the help from the team at SS Orlando. I'm going to give this a try. My only question is can I modify this for my bench? I'm still able to add 2.5 pounds every Bench workout, its at 270 as of Friday. Press is at 167.5 but its starting to get hard. I failed my first set of five at after rep three (admittedly this was due to bar path issues) and then thought I would just do triples, so I completed five sets of three on Friday's workout. It did not feel grindy as opposed to doing sets of five, I was considering switching my press to five triples but after reading through practical programming this now seems to be the wrong path. I know the more practice I would get with the press on the compressed texas method will help me continue to PR.

Anyway my bench keeps going up at 3x5 no problem, I feel I have another four weeks of progress in me, perhaps more, before I have to make some changes. Do you recommend I just switch to the full compressed texas method anyway? I am all for preemptive measures.
    I wouldn't. I'm all for keeping doing what's working and only changing what needs to be changed. Just keep running the bench as is and change it when it needs to be changed.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Nick, I recently re-read this article as I was starting to miss a rep at the end of sets 2 and 3 on press. Background info: A:32, H:6'2" & W:220lbs. Before I had read the article, I was sticking with the same weight until I got all reps across. The following occured:
    65kg x 5,4,4
    65kg x 5,5,5
    66kg x 5,4,4,2
    67kg x 5,5,5

My question is, is it indicative of anything if I missed reps, went up the weight and then got all reps across? As in, in your experience, could this be a form issue (I'm aware I could just post a form check) or is this a normal progression using your method of getting all 15 reps in? I'm more curious than trying to 'fix' something as obviously it's working. Also, completely ecstatic as I'm pretty sure this is an all time PR (haven't lifted for around 5 years). Thanks!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011