starting strength gym
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The French Press is actually the standing version of the LTE. It is very hard on the elbows, is hard to unrack and rack, and is so hard to program that we don't use it.
    Then it was my mistake.
    My original question was about the lying version of this exercise, the LTE.
    In the book it is described as a good was to „effectively improve the general strength of the upper body with emphasis on the triceps“. Since my upper body lifts are generally a weakness, I used the LTE regularly during my LP.
    But can it still be recommended in such cases with this programming? Or should I rather start without and think about this stuff later?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBuck93 View Post
    Then it was my mistake.
    My original question was about the lying version of this exercise, the LTE.
    In the book it is described as a good was to „effectively improve the general strength of the upper body with emphasis on the triceps“. Since my upper body lifts are generally a weakness, I used the LTE regularly during my LP.
    But can it still be recommended in such cases with this programming? Or should I rather start without and think about this stuff later?
    I think you should bench twice a week, every week. So if you're going to do that, just do what's outlined in the article first, then add LTEs when you need to further down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I think you should bench twice a week, every week. So if you're going to do that, just do what's outlined in the article first, then add LTEs when you need to further down the line.
    Allright thank you. Gonna do it that way (and probably get my Bench & Press Form checked in the technique forum)

Nick,

Trying to figure out the lower body programming for the 4-day split. My upper lifts are WAY ahead of what my lowers should be due to a bad low back -- and just a generally weak lower body compared to my upper. It's always been that way. I actually switched to high bar because my back simply could not handle any weight over 200 lbs with the low bar back angle. Yesterday, I actually had an easier time doing 185lb. for 5s using HB than LB. Using the theory laid out in your article, I'm going to lay out the 4-day out this way based upon last week's numbers:

Monday
    Press singles 5-10 @ 160 -- Should I do the 10 singles here?
    Bench 5x5@225 (90% 5RM Thur)

Tuesday
    DL 1X5 @ 250
    HB Squat 5X5 @ 165 (90@ 5RM)

Or should I just keep SQ at 3X5 and plan on adding weight every workout? I put the 1x5 DL first, because my back can't do heavy squats then DL and still add 5lbs; it's pretty much one or the other at this point. So I figure 5lbs a week on the DL is better than nothing.

Thursday
    Press 5X5 @ 135 (~85% Monday singles)
    Bench 1X5 @ 252.5
    Also, why is the Press always first? Is there any benefit to putting the Intensity Upper first: Ie. switch Bench 1X5 first then volume Press? I didn't catch an explanation in your video or article.

Friday
    HB Squat 1X5 @ 190
    DL 3X5 @ 225 (90% Tuesday)
    Again, should I just keep SQ 3X5 and add 5lbs (if I can) to Tuesday's SQ? And then do a volume DL?
    Low 200's is pretty much my ceiling in the squat and high 200s in DL, so maybe add weight each week then switch to an Intensity/Volume layout to attempt to drive some more progress?

And I'm 38, 186lbs, 5'9" to put it in perspective. Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by BustedBack View Post
    Nick,

Trying to figure out the lower body programming for the 4-day split. My upper lifts are WAY ahead of what my lowers should be due to a bad low back -- and just a generally weak lower body compared to my upper. It's always been that way. I actually switched to high bar because my back simply could not handle any weight over 200 lbs with the low bar back angle. Yesterday, I actually had an easier time doing 185lb. for 5s using HB than LB. Using the theory laid out in your article, I'm going to lay out the 4-day out this way based upon last week's numbers:

Monday
    Press singles 5-10 @ 160 -- Should I do the 10 singles here?
    Bench 5x5@225 (90% 5RM Thur)

Tuesday
    DL 1X5 @ 250
    HB Squat 5X5 @ 165 (90@ 5RM)

Or should I just keep SQ at 3X5 and plan on adding weight every workout? I put the 1x5 DL first, because my back can't do heavy squats then DL and still add 5lbs; it's pretty much one or the other at this point. So I figure 5lbs a week on the DL is better than nothing.

Thursday
    Press 5X5 @ 135 (~85% Monday singles)
    Bench 1X5 @ 252.5
    Also, why is the Press always first? Is there any benefit to putting the Intensity Upper first: Ie. switch Bench 1X5 first then volume Press? I didn't catch an explanation in your video or article.

Friday
    HB Squat 1X5 @ 190
    DL 3X5 @ 225 (90% Tuesday)
    Again, should I just keep SQ 3X5 and add 5lbs (if I can) to Tuesday's SQ? And then do a volume DL?
    Low 200's is pretty much my ceiling in the squat and high 200s in DL, so maybe add weight each week then switch to an Intensity/Volume layout to attempt to drive some more progress?

And I'm 38, 186lbs, 5'9" to put it in perspective. Thanks in advance!!
    Your preference on what day you put the press intensity vs bench intensity. Looks fine there. I would have you do the intensity lift first, though. So press first on Monday and bench first on Thursday.

With your squat being that low, there’s no reason to do a volume/intensity split. You should just be LPing that at 3x5 every lower body day. Same with your deadlift. So you should be squatting 3x5 and deadlift 1x5 every Tuesday and Friday.

Also, you need to have someone take a look at your squat and deadlift. There’s no reason you can’t squat more than 200 with a low bar position. I bet your spine is subjected to bigger and more asymmetric forces when you’re riding in a car than squatting 185 at a bodyweight of 186. Everyone has a bad low back until they get strong. Change your username to John Wick or some shit and get to work on fixing your back issues.

Touché.

Thanks for the programming clarification. Did 10 singles at 163 and 225 for 5s last night. Felt like a bag of smashed assholes after but I think that was the added stress I need to get the press up some more.

I know there’s no reason my lower lifts should be that low. That’s why I do those lifts at home...it’s embarrassing. I’ve been stuck for years with those numbers being the upper ceiling. It just is what it is. Ive even gained 20 pounds which has only helped my upper body lifts. I’ve seen a SSC in my area and posted on Pete’s technique forum. The only thing I had to clean up was setting my back better in the DL. I’ve found anything above 240 (did 250 this evening) I can’t get my thoracic spine in a good position and my double overhand completely fails so I just switch to switch grip. Would you recommend straps over switch grip to keep the loading symmetrical?

With the squat, the problems are major QL spasms with any load over 200. Last one put me in the ER for toridol and norflex shots, and I couldn’t walk for a couple days. Believe me, I would love to just add 5 pounds a workout. It’s been a life goal to squat 225 for 5s and DL 315. But I’ve got to put my health first and be able to go to work without pain. I’m in law enforcement and I’ve already got enough people hating these days.

I’ll keep at it though.
    Would you suggest gaining more weight at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by BustedBack View Post
    Touché.

Thanks for the programming clarification. Did 10 singles at 163 and 225 for 5s last night. Felt like a bag of smashed assholes after but I think that was the added stress I need to get the press up some more.

I know there’s no reason my lower lifts should be that low. That’s why I do those lifts at home...it’s embarrassing. I’ve been stuck for years with those numbers being the upper ceiling. It just is what it is. Ive even gained 20 pounds which has only helped my upper body lifts. I’ve seen a SSC in my area and posted on Pete’s technique forum. The only thing I had to clean up was setting my back better in the DL. I’ve found anything above 240 (did 250 this evening) I can’t get my thoracic spine in a good position and my double overhand completely fails so I just switch to switch grip. Would you recommend straps over switch grip to keep the loading symmetrical?

With the squat, the problems are major QL spasms with any load over 200. Last one put me in the ER for toridol and norflex shots, and I couldn’t walk for a couple days. Believe me, I would love to just add 5 pounds a workout. It’s been a life goal to squat 225 for 5s and DL 315. But I’ve got to put my health first and be able to go to work without pain. I’m in law enforcement and I’ve already got enough people hating these days.

I’ll keep at it though.
    Would you suggest gaining more weight at this point?

Mixed grip is fine. It’s not a huge concern that one hand is supine unless you allow the bar to rotate or you bend the supine elbow. Just keep the arm straight and the bar close and you’ll be fine.

Putting your health first, in my opinion, is getting this back situation squared away. It’s not going to get better on its own, but it very well may get worse. I looked around for your form check videos and I could only find a couple that weren’t removed from YouTube. From what I can tell, you’re rotating clockwise in your squat and you’re overextending your low back. The rotation is probably just you trying to avoid loading one side of your back, but overextending can lead to some problems. Looks like you’ve been dealing with this for a while and it also seems that you’re serious about trying to fix it. In short, these movements are almost always the solution to these kinds of problems and I think that there’s a misapplication somewhere in the process for you. You don’t need to gain weight. You need to work on some fundamentals and narrow down the reasons why this is happening. I’ve dealt with a similar issue and found no help from PTs, doctors, or chiropractors. It’s frustrating, but it can be fixed and you’ll need to stop allowing yourself to think you’re broken.

Email me: nick at liftfightwin dot com.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 06-17-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Mixed grip is fine. It’s not a huge concern that one hand is supine unless you allow the bar to rotate or you bend the supine elbow. Just keep the arm straight and the bar close and you’ll be fine.

Putting your health first, in my opinion, is getting this back situation squared away. It’s not going to get better on its own, but it very well may get worse. I looked around for your form check videos and I could only find a couple that weren’t removed from YouTube. From what I can tell, you’re rotating clockwise in your squat and you’re overextending your low back. The rotation is probably just you trying to avoid loading one side of your back, but overextending can lead to some problems. Looks like you’ve been dealing with this for a while and it also seems that you’re serious about trying to fix it. In short, these movements are almost always the solution to these kinds of problems and I think that there’s a misapplication somewhere in the process for you. You don’t need to gain weight. You need to work on some fundamentals and narrow down the reasons why this is happening. I’ve dealt with a similar issue and found no help from PTs, doctors, or chiropractors. It’s frustrating, but it can be fixed and you’ll need to stop allowing yourself to think you’re broken.

Email me: nick at liftfightwin dot com.
    I appreciate that thanks; yes I'm really eager to resolve it. I noticed the CW rotation too. It's got to be subconscious because I'm actively trying not to do that. Agreed on the traditional medical help. I went to a PT and as you can imagine, she said you need to STOP lifting and stretch -- I never went back.

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for all that information. It’s been really helpfull.
    Do you think the same method could be applied to the Bench as well? Talking about working with heavier singles or triples on the ID, instead of a single set of 5.
    My press seem to go well with the singles on Fridays. My bench is really on the edge every week. The 4th and 5th rep are always super grindy. I guess it is supposed to be hard, but given the fact that my Bench really sucks, I am wondering if you ever suggest triples or singles to some weaker trainees on the Bench too.
    Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Thanks for all that information. It’s been really helpfull.
    Do you think the same method could be applied to the Bench as well? Talking about working with heavier singles or triples on the ID, instead of a single set of 5.
    My press seem to go well with the singles on Fridays. My bench is really on the edge every week. The 4th and 5th rep are always super grindy. I guess it is supposed to be hard, but given the fact that my Bench really sucks, I am wondering if you ever suggest triples or singles to some weaker trainees on the Bench too.
    Thanks!
    I'd go with triples first before going to singles on bench. The practice element just isn't required for the bench.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast