starting strength gym

Thread: Occupational shoulder flexibility

Default Occupational shoulder flexibility

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m a trades pipe welder. In certain situations at work (welding overhead or uncomfortable fixed positions) I tend to get bound up. I have full range of motion on all pressing movements.

Assuming someone desired greater flexibly outside of training, is there a method of increasing flexibility (I’m talking very minor improvements, not full on yogi shit) that can be safely performed without subjecting yourself to problems during the barbell lifts?

My situation pertains to the upper body. Specifically my shoulders. Rotating either shoulder internally or externally with arms extended 50-100%.

Do you do chins? Do you have trouble hanging from the bar in full extension?

To the extent to which mobility is trainable, it is primarily trained a strength based adaptation: you train your body to support the joint through the increased range of motion. You could try loading the range of motion you're dying to achieve, and stretching into it until you achieve the ROM you desire (the way you do with immobile people and the squat and deadlift, for example).

It'd be interesting to know exactly what you are after. You say you are "bound up": do you mean your muscles just cramp? Or there a position you can't achieve that you are trying to? If the former, the press will eventually fix that. If the latter, what is that position? Can you not rotate your shoulders when your arms are extended? I don't think anyone really can based on how the shoulders are built, but maybe I'm misreading you.

No, I have not been training chins. I am able to hang from the bar in full extension. I’ve found when training chins I have trouble recovering from the training/occupational stress on my forearms (using an angle grinder all day).

As such I was curious how many I could perform untrained, and completed a set of 12 just prior to this post. For what its worth I’m pressing 205 for 5x3 @183lbs bodyweight.

I guess you need to train chins, and work on your mobility at the hang position. But really, I don't know what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    To the extent to which mobility is trainable, it is primarily trained a strength based adaptation: you train your body to support the joint through the increased range of motion. You could try loading the range of motion you're dying to achieve, and stretching into it until you achieve the ROM you desire (the way you do with immobile people and the squat and deadlift, for example).

It'd be interesting to know exactly what you are after. You say you are "bound up": do you mean your muscles just cramp? Or there a position you can't achieve that you are trying to? If the former, the press will eventually fix that. If the latter, what is that position? Can you not rotate your shoulders when your arms are extended? I don't think anyone really can based on how the shoulders are built, but maybe I'm misreading you.

By bound up I mean reaching the full range of motion I have across my chest. With the arm abducted to 90 degrees (arm extended straight out from the chest) then protracting the arm across the chest. More simply the good ol’ “arm across your chest” stretch.

If I were able to bring my arm closer to my chest while my arm is extended, I could potentially gain an additional 2-4 inches worth of welding in a single pass. It sounds insignificant, but the less tie-ins you have on a diameter of pipe the better.

To clarify- my flexibility as it pertains to normal anatomical movement is just fine. This is a desire to increase my flexibility beyond anatomically normal such that it can assist me occupationally; while also not going so far as to subject myself to injury while barbell training.

You might be kind of SOL there, since the main thing limiting that is impingement of the soft tissue around the chest: the only fix for which is to have less soft tissue. I don't think anything you could theoretically do to improve your ROM would affect your barbell lifts unless you were particularly stupid. Getting down to sub 7% bodyfat might do it. But that's stupid.

starting strength coach development program
    Nicholas, I am going to expose myself to possible ridicule here, but for you, brother ...

I'm 62 and a life-long surfer. Shoulder mobility is essential. I really have come to appreciate 360-degree mace swings as an easy, super enjoyable, and gentle tool for working on the full range of motion of those miraculous joints. I don't know if that will help your specific issue, but perhaps it is an option to explore.

Consider getting a 15lb Onnit mace, use YouTube to learn the proper form, and swing that thing in both directions for 5 minutes total a day (or every other day). As for the 15lbs, yes, I know that sounds ridiculously light, but this is not strength training. And you'll be surprised at what 15lbs feels like at the end of a 41" handle. That's really the sweet spot for starting, in my humble estimation.