starting strength gym
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Monday: 3 week cycle of 5x5, 5x3, 5x1
    Wednesday: CGBP 3x8 (only about 10% over my press)
    Friday: 5x5 at 90% of Monday's 5x5 weight

I had my rotator cuff repaired July 2017; hence, CGBP instead of Bench. I've also probably been way too conservative about adding weight to CGBP.

That said, I may complete the current cycle and then try your 3X/week program. Looks interesting!

Thanks for your time!

If Monday and Friday are your press days, just put your heavy singles on Monday. Leave everything else the same. Make that your first change, then adjust as needed by going 3x5 on CGBP and adding weight. Then maybe flip-flopping Mon/Fri. That may not be necessary, though.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks again, Nick.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick. I am nearing the end of LP and have been frustrated with the press especially, but also with the bench.

I just hit a wall and felt seriously tired. On the recommendation of a former powerlifter, i dropped my work sets to 70% for a week and now am working my way back up to my PRs. If I'm still stuck I will switch over to this approach.

65 yrs, 160 lbs, squat 170/5/3, press 85/5/3, bench 130/5/3 dl 217/5/2

Somehow I missed reading this thread when it first started. Coach, can you clarify if you think there is any value to switching to triples for the press and bench press towards the end of NLP or should I start looking at your suggestions? I just switched to triples last week following the suggestions in PP. Obviously it's a short term solution but I'm curious if you think it's worth following as a bridge into intermediate programming.

I switch women to 3s at the same time I switch all the other lifts during the novice phase. Otherwise, I'm not using threes for the press very much at the novice/intermediate stage unless a guy has a big press already.

You won't hurt anything by doing the triples, though. It just won't work for very long if you don't have a strong press. If you have a big press, it should work nicely.

Hey Nick,
    Sorry to resurrect this thread. I finally switched over to your 3 day upper body program after farting around with triples for a while (and adding in some volume on the off days to try to milk it). My last couple bench workouts prior ended up being doubles for 5 sets, (no spotter and no rack available, so I didn't trust going for 3s) and my last press workout was for singles (mostly because I accidentally loaded 10 extra lbs on the bar and shot my wad on that first lift).

So here is what I did last week:
    M: bench 185x5x5
    W: press 130x5x5
    F: press 162 for 9 singles, bench 230 for 3 sets of 2.

My question is, for this week, should I drop the bench down to where I can do a set of 5, or should I continue with doubles and cycle through singles and then work back through the rep ranges as laid out in PP?

Also, looking back at my log, the bench is clearly the less consistent of the 2 lifts. Would it benefit from extra backoff sets on Fridays?

Other info: 42 y/o, 5'9",188 lbs, still progressing more or less linearly on squats and deads.

Thanks, coach!

I think you should leave the bench as is and cycle through so you're not changing so many things at one time. Your bench may get moving again just because of the additional frequency and volume.

Don't worry about backoff sets until you need them. And when that's the case, I think you should really consider doing a 4 day split or just coming in an extra day to do some bench or press. But don't worry about that until it becomes necessary.

Thanks Nick, that confirms what I suspected. 4 day split is already on my radar, and probably sooner than later.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Nick. I've been using this method with a 4 day split for a couple months now. The 5x5 strict press failed on my last session, and has been really difficult for a few weeks now. All other upper body lifts are still progressing 2.5lbs weekly with no real grind. Would you suggest to involve the hips or stretch reflex to continue going up in weight, or something else altogether?

I'm primarily performing the 4 main lifts at the moment, and only getting in chins and rows occasionally.

Last lifts and rest
    Strict press - 165x5x3, failed 5th rep on 4th set. 3:30 rest
    Press singles - 197.5x1x7 1:30 rest
    Bench 5rm - 272.5x5
    Bench volume - 247.5x5x4 3:00 rest (I'm generally a little strapped for time on this day, so I was using sets of 4 until it stopped working)
    Last edited by Justin Johnson; 11-14-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: mistake on press single sets and reps

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast