starting strength gym
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for the article Nick. It's great. It's articles like this that make me want a printed anthology of SS articles.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Johnson View Post
    Hey Nick. I've been using this method with a 4 day split for a couple months now. The 5x5 strict press failed on my last session, and has been really difficult for a few weeks now. All other upper body lifts are still progressing 2.5lbs weekly with no real grind. Would you suggest to involve the hips or stretch reflex to continue going up in weight, or something else altogether?

I'm primarily performing the 4 main lifts at the moment, and only getting in chins and rows occasionally.

Last lifts and rest
    Strict press - 165x5x3, failed 5th rep on 4th set. 3:30 rest
    Press singles - 197.5x1x7 1:30 rest
    Bench 5rm - 272.5x5
    Bench volume - 247.5x5x4 3:00 rest (I'm generally a little strapped for time on this day, so I was using sets of 4 until it stopped working)
    A few things you can do: first thing I have most people do is set a range on the volume day - around 10-15 lbs or so. Get all 5x5 done varying weight within the range. The range moves up when all the sets are completed at 5x5 across. OR, you can try going for 5-6 triples on volume day one week, and 5x5 on the alternating week's volume day.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for the article Nick. It's great. It's articles like this that make me want a printed anthology of SS articles.
    You're welcome, Andrew.

Awesome! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    A few things you can do: first thing I have most people do is set a range on the volume day - around 10-15 lbs or so. Get all 5x5 done varying weight within the range. The range moves up when all the sets are completed at 5x5 across. OR, you can try going for 5-6 triples on volume day one week, and 5x5 on the alternating week's volume day.
    I switched to a four day split a few weeks ago and have already been experimenting with this for my bench press volume day. So far it seems to work pretty well within a 10lb range. Bench volume seems to be much more sensitive to the heavy press singles on the same day than the press volume is to the bench intensity... press 5x5s are still going well without modification although some days I end up using my hips on reps 4 and 5 of the last two sets in order to make sure I get them.

Question: when using a range for the volume day, do you continue to add weight on intensity even if you haven't moved the volume range up? So far I've been able to, even as I've been tweaking the volume day loads to accomodate the heavier press singles on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I switched to a four day split a few weeks ago and have already been experimenting with this for my bench press volume day. So far it seems to work pretty well within a 10lb range. Bench volume seems to be much more sensitive to the heavy press singles on the same day than the press volume is to the bench intensity... press 5x5s are still going well without modification although some days I end up using my hips on reps 4 and 5 of the last two sets in order to make sure I get them.

Question: when using a range for the volume day, do you continue to add weight on intensity even if you haven't moved the volume range up? So far I've been able to, even as I've been tweaking the volume day loads to accomodate the heavier press singles on the same day.
    Absolutely. The point is to keep the intensity day going up. If your range gets TOO wide, you may start to affect things, but I've found that if you keep the range at 10-15 lbs, that seems to be sufficient load for a good volume stress.

I have a question regarding the French Press in connection with this program.
    During my LP I regularly added the French-Press. Now I switched to the programming described here and am no longer sure if/where I should add the French-Press.

My numbers for the upper body are clearly behind those for the lower body:

Squat: 5RM = 314 lbs
    Deadlift:5RM = 314 lbs
    Bench-Press:5RM = 160 lbs
    Press:1RM = 127 lbs

During the LP I had the feeling that the additional triceps volume made it easier for me to progress in the upper body lifts (I had already done an LP without French-Press in the past). With the new program I'm not sure if the triceps would be overloaded by the already increased volume.

(male, 26 y.o., 193 lbs)

Did you mean Bench Press when you typed French Press? In Texas, they call a French Press a Press Pot. I prefer pour over to french press, but french press isn't too shabby at all. You just have to make sure you don't eat the sludge at the bottom. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

You are probably squatting high and you aren't going to overload your triceps. Probably ever. And definitely not with the loads you're handling. If you're squatting to depth, then the best thing you can do right now to get your bench up is to run the program and add more deadlifting in. Get your deadlift 100 lbs ahead of your squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Did you mean Bench Press when you typed French Press? In Texas, they call a French Press a Press Pot. I prefer pour over to french press, but french press isn't too shabby at all. You just have to make sure you don't eat the sludge at the bottom. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

You are probably squatting high and you aren't going to overload your triceps. Probably ever. And definitely not with the loads you're handling. If you're squatting to depth, then the best thing you can do right now to get your bench up is to run the program and add more deadlifting in. Get your deadlift 100 lbs ahead of your squat.
    Hi, by French-Press I mean a LTE. Im from Germany and in the german version of the Blue book this exercise is called French-Press. In the original version its probably called lying tricep Extension.

My DL is low compared to my squat because I made the mistake to start them both on the same weight. But a few months im beyond the Situation where I can do bigger jumps on the DL. How should I bring it ahead of the squat right now?

starting strength coach development program
    The French Press is actually the standing version of the LTE. It is very hard on the elbows, is hard to unrack and rack, and is so hard to program that we don't use it.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast