starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Default Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    With the big lifts like the squat, deadlift, and (to a lesser extent) the bench, adding weight to an inherently stressful lift, even at a reduced volume may continue to drive adaptation for a good amount of time. This is absolutely not the case for the press because the limiting factor in the press is not how much weight you can lock out over your head for most people.

Read article

Thanks Nick.
    This looks like a progression to the TM variant that Andy lays out in PPT3 on page 152.
    Makes perfect sense.

The upper body lifts are the reason I paid a trainer. He just switched me over to both pressing and benching 3x per week

Monday=heavy single or triple & heavy backoff sets for bench, volume day for presses
    Wednesday=heavy single or triple & heavy backoff sets for press, light day on close grip bench
    Friday=volume volume volume on bench & presses both

No real light day on presses but there is one on the bench but that jives with the statement in this article that you just can't generate enough stress to tear down the muscles involved with your presses like you do with other movements. I do get a light bench day though.

It has been working well. My pressing movements both took off big time with me adding 5-10 lbs per week again easily. The only problem is the amount of time it takes to complete all 4 main lifts in one day...especially with Friday being heavy volume on both squats and deads as well. I certainly can't complain about not getting stronger though; I am seeing great results.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Thanks Nick.
    This looks like a progression to the TM variant that Andy lays out in PPT3 on page 152.
    Makes perfect sense.
    Right. I've got it set up to run on a 3 day program initially, though, since most people will switch to this while still on LP for the squat and DL. No use going to a 4 day split when weight's still being added to the bar 3 days/week on squat. Also, because of the practice aspect of things I have people to a bunch of singles when they're on the 4 day split.

Quote Originally Posted by csjack View Post
    The upper body lifts are the reason I paid a trainer. He just switched me over to both pressing and benching 3x per week

Monday=heavy single or triple & heavy backoff sets for bench, volume day for presses
    Wednesday=heavy single or triple & heavy backoff sets for press, light day on close grip bench
    Friday=volume volume volume on bench & presses both

No real light day on presses but there is one on the bench but that jives with the statement in this article that you just can't generate enough stress to tear down the muscles involved with your presses like you do with other movements. I do get a light bench day though.

It has been working well. My pressing movements both took off big time with me adding 5-10 lbs per week again easily. The only problem is the amount of time it takes to complete all 4 main lifts in one day...especially with Friday being heavy volume on both squats and deads as well. I certainly can't complain about not getting stronger though; I am seeing great results.
    By the time I've got people doing TONS of upper body work, I've already convinced them to go to a 4 day split. The 3 day compressed TM is a good way to up the stress without making workouts too much longer when someone's still training 3 days/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Right. I've got it set up to run on a 3 day program initially, though, since most people will switch to this while still on LP for the squat and DL. No use going to a 4 day split when weight's still being added to the bar 3 days/week on squat. Also, because of the practice aspect of things I have people to a bunch of singles when they're on the 4 day split.

By the time I've got people doing TONS of upper body work, I've already convinced them to go to a 4 day split. The 3 day compressed TM is a good way to up the stress without making workouts too much longer when someone's still training 3 days/week.
    Are you suggesting trainees transitioning from the novice program to the Texas method should follow this template rather than the one outlined in practical programming?
    For instance, I’m a week into the 3 day Texas method that’s outlined in the book after completing the novice program.

I am. For most people. If you're pressing a bunch of weight over your head, you may be good to go on the standard Texas Method example in Practical Programming. The few folks who I've worked with who don't go to this kind of a setup are the ones with big presses. If I remember right, The White Buffalo did standard alternating-priority-week Texas Method, but the kid has been pressing over bodyweight for 5x5 for a long time. That's not most people.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 05-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Ok. My best press as a novice was 67.75kgx3, so am I right in thinking your template would be more appropriate?

I am. For most people. If you're pressing a bunch of weight over your head, you may be good to go on the standard Texas Method example in Practical Programming. The few folks who I've worked with who don't go to this kind of a setup are the ones with big presses. If I remember right, The White Buffalo did standard alternating-priority-week Texas Method, but the kid has been pressing over bodyweight for 5x5 for a long time. That's not most people.
    Ok thanks for that. What’s the reason for not doing heavy 5, 3s and 2s on press intensity? Is it because they’re harder to progress on than singles?
    Do you still run through 3s, 2s and 1s on bench intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Ok. My best press as a novice was 67.75kgx3, so am I right in thinking your template would be more appropriate?
    Probably. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Ok thanks for that. What’s the reason for not doing heavy 5, 3s and 2s on press intensity? Is it because they’re harder to progress on than singles?
    Do you still run through 3s, 2s and 1s on bench intensity?
    You can do 5, 3, and 2 on intensity day. Eventually, you'll end up doing singles anyway. I've been able to progress people faster just switching to singles right away. For the bench, I typically start at 5s, then rotating 5s, 3s, and singles as it becomes necessary.

starting strength coach development program
    Probably. Give it a shot and see what happens.

You can do 5, 3, and 2 on intensity day. Eventually, you'll end up doing singles anyway. I've been able to progress people faster just switching to singles right away. For the bench, I typically start at 5s, then rotating 5s, 3s, and singles as it becomes necessary.
    Thanks Nick.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast