starting strength gym

Thread: Groin Strain

Default Groin Strain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I strained my groin last night on my fifth set of 395x5. I've dealt with these before, and they always suck. Last time, which was well over a year ago, I had to employ the Starr rehab. I'm going to attempt to train through this without rehab. I always hate deadlifting with an injured groin. I was scheduled to pull 500x6, but during the first rep the first couple inches off the floor caused me to hesitate, and I lost tightness in my back. I then choose to deload to 405 and just do a bunch of reps. Nearly 100 lbs lighter, the pain wasn't near as distracting. So, I'm going to attempt going full fledge with my squats. I would like to get 400x5x5 next heavy day. That's been my goal. Guess I'll just try to set some higher rep PRs for my deadlift until the aggravating pain subsides. What about deep tissue massage, can this be beneficial?
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 05-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    What about deep tissue massage, can this be beneficial?
    Not really. Why don't you want to rehab your strain? It doesn't take long.

Once again, I believe you are correct marcf. The pain is worse today, and I'm sure it'll just distract me during my heavy sets. I'm going to start tomorrow with the empty bar and just ramp it up from there. Being just a mild strain, 7-10 days I suspect it will be as good as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    Once again, I believe you are correct marcf. The pain is worse today, and I'm sure it'll just distract me during my heavy sets. I'm going to start tomorrow with the empty bar and just ramp it up from there. Being just a mild strain, 7-10 days I suspect it will be as good as ever.
    Yep, that's about how long it took me to rehab my groin strain last summer. I took 2-3 days off doing anything that hurt it, then did Starr rehab. Good luck, dude.

You might can get away with just lowering the weight significantly and then doing a mini LP. I usually do that or injuries instead of the full blown star rehab. Unless it's REALLY bad.

I also throw in some very light, high rep work with exercises that really target the area. Some hip adductions come to mind. (good girl machine). I had good success using the abduction machine for hip bursitis.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    You might can get away with just lowering the weight significantly and then doing a mini LP. I usually do that or injuries instead of the full blown star rehab. Unless it's REALLY bad.

I also throw in some very light, high rep work with exercises that really target the area. Some hip adductions come to mind. (good girl machine). I had good success using the abduction machine for hip bursitis.
    Only problem I had with Starr Rehab is that I believe I conservatively kept the weights artificially lighter than what I was capable of handling.It healed up the injury, but I was detrained a bit after the two weeks, and ended up running an abbreviated LP. Supposedly, some trainees actually get stronger after running the two weeks of prescribed rehab.

Mr. Gish, would you be able to share in a bit more detail how you rehabbed your groin strains, and what the sensation/experience was like when you strained it? I did something two days ago and have been reviewing the forum since then to try to make sure that Starr rehab protocol is appropriate for what I experienced. It occurred at the bottom of my second rep of my third back-off set. It was a light weight for me. It was not painful when it happened, and I completed the rep. I experienced pain on my next rep, but completed the rep and stopped the set. It was right in the groin area, very top of the inner, right thigh. There is no discoloration at all and it hasn't interfered at all with any daily activities. I can feel it when I drag my right leg in towards my body, and when I do a body squat, though these movements barely register as pain. I'll get more info tonight when I get under the bar. Maybe it'll turn out to be nothing. At this point it certainly doesn't seem as bad as things Ive experienced in the past or read about on this board. I'm just trying to get some info early in this process since the Starr protocol needs to be started soon after the injury. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gish View Post
    So I strained my groin last night on my fifth set of 395x5. I've dealt with these before, and they always suck. Last time, which was well over a year ago, I had to employ the Starr rehab. I'm going to attempt to train through this without rehab. I always hate deadlifting with an injured groin. I was scheduled to pull 500x6, but during the first rep the first couple inches off the floor caused me to hesitate, and I lost tightness in my back. I then choose to deload to 405 and just do a bunch of reps. Nearly 100 lbs lighter, the pain wasn't near as distracting. So, I'm going to attempt going full fledge with my squats. I would like to get 400x5x5 next heavy day. That's been my goal. Guess I'll just try to set some higher rep PRs for my deadlift until the aggravating pain subsides. What about deep tissue massage, can this be beneficial?
    Of course, I'll appreciate anybody else's responses to this, too. Thanks!