starting strength gym

Thread: Dealing with the bodybuilding ideas

Default Dealing with the bodybuilding ideas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The article The Deadlift: 3 reasons states that
    the deadlift the best exercise for the back muscles in existence.
    PHP Code:
    https://startingstrength.com/article/the-deadlift-3-reasons 
    the deadlift the best exercise for the back muscles in existence.
    Is EMG required to prove this statement?

I have been doing my workouts recently
    How do we convey methods like Starting Strength to the gym bro types?
    How do I show people that deadlifts, pull ups and perhaps rows is all that is required for the back musculature?

In defense of the gym bros, I actually don’t think there is much argument of the utility of the deadlift for back musculature. Even in the BBing world, deadlifts are pretty routinely recommended and performed at the amateur and pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    How do I show people that deadlifts, pull ups and perhaps rows is all that is required for the back musculature?
    Mostly, you don't. Nobody cares what anyone else thinks unless they specifically come to them, as an expert or at least more knowledgeable bro, for advice and help. And even then, sometimes they don't listen to you.

That said, even in the BB world, most of what they do for back is still just a variation of those three things. They manipulate the angles, the modalities, etc...but at the end of the day, they're mostly just doing variations of pullups/chinups/pulldowns (including cable straight arm versions) , some kind of pull with a barbell (DL, SLDL etc), and some variation of rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    Get big & strong by doing them. The gym bros will notice. They will either ask for pointers or start copying you. Most people in gyms just look around and mimic what they see the strongest looking dude is doing.

What are the main bro methods worth defending?

starting strength coach development program
    In my gym, the main movement for back development is this extremely strict row done parallel to the thigh with light weights while in a quarter squat position with a curl bar, preferably done in the squat rack with wrist wraps. The kids who perform these lifts have questioned my friends for deadlifting twice their body weight, since weight on the bar is not important and one just needs to feel the muscle.

I do not understand why anyone would want to give these people advice and thereby risk getting into a conversation with them.