starting strength gym

Thread: Training The Military For Strength | Starting Strength Radio #4

Default Training The Military For Strength | Starting Strength Radio #4

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip talks about the benefits of making soldiers stronger for military applications.

Watch & read transcript here

Rip. Any reason you didn’t put a clean in the test? I would think that if you wanted to test power production it would be a good fit.

I didn't want to test power production. And as a general rule, anything that comes after "I would think..." is always wrong.

Hi Rip,

My wife and I are both Marines (80's vintage). I can see the advantages to the baseline requirements you suggested. You keep mentioning "in 6 months" the average recruit should be able to reach the baseline in basic training. The Marine Corps has the longest basic training (boot camp) at 13 weeks. Then the Army at 10 weeks, The Navy at 8 weeks, and then the Air Force at 6 weeks.

In reality, the prospective recruits should meet the baseline requirements when they enter basic training, or at least a good % of baseline that they can build on in training. Ideally, when students graduate from High School, they should be able to meet a baseline standard. It would certainly reverse the obesity train we seem to be riding on.

Let the comments begin about how the branches don't all have the same physicality requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    In reality, the prospective recruits should meet the baseline requirements when they enter basic training, or at least a good % of baseline that they can build on in training. Ideally, when students graduate from High School, they should be able to meet a baseline standard.
    That's like saying recruits should be competent marksmen while they enlist. You're unrealistically optimistic. If this ever happened, that requirements were met upon enlistment, we wouldn't need basic training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's like saying recruits should be competent marksmen while they enlist. You're unrealistically optimistic. If this ever happened, that requirements were met upon enlistment, we wouldn't need basic training.
    I did say "ideally" and I didn't say meet the baseline you mentioned but "a" baseline.

My niece is graduating High School with an Associates Degree, which is great forward progress for High School graduates willing to do the work. But she doesn't have a PE requirement.

So my Utopian High School graduate is unrealistic. How much physical training or strength gains are accomplished in the Air Farce's 6 week basic training? I know the Marine enlistees are trained by their recruiters to be able to pass the PFT before they go to boot camp. I believe the standard has changed, but when I went in it was a 3 mile run (don't remember the standard), 3 pull-ups (minimum) - 20 (maximum) and sit-ups (I think it was 80 in one minute). I have no first hand knowledge of the other services' requirements.

I've spoken with many prospective enlistees and police academy hopefuls. I fully recommend The Starting Strength method to all of them because strong people are harder to kill. The injuries and surgeries (15) I've suffered through would have been much easier to recover from had I received comprehensive strength training "back in the day" instead of working through them now. All I could do then was bench 365.

Hi Rip,

Active duty Air Force here. I agree with everything you said. Do you think this standard should apply to those in combat arms MOSs/AFSCs only, or to all? For example, in the Air Force we have several airmen career fields that never require airmen to leave an office, let alone pick up something heavy. Not saying I agree with the argument that the Air Force doesn't need strength training, but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks for all you do.

Question

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Rip talks about the benefits of making soldiers stronger for military applications.

Watch & read transcript here
    Rip,

Here you make a good case for testing military candidates on these baselines: 2xBW Deadlift, 0.75xBW Press, 12 Chin Ups and a ≤75-sec 400-m run.

Are 12 Chin Ups and 400 m in ≤75 sec the natural result you expect from following the SS Novice Program (which includes chin ups in Phase 3 and does not include running)?

Or would training for said test include 400-m runs and Chin Ups earlier than in Phase 3?

Thank you.