starting strength gym

Thread: Plates Tip During Deadlift

Default Plates Tip During Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have one pair of normal diameter 45 pound plates. The rest of my plates don't touch the ground. I have spring collars. During a set of deadlifts, the plates lean to one side, making the pull progressively more uneven as the set goes on. What kind of collars do you think will remedy this, if any? Any suggestions? I looked on the forums and I couldn't find an example of this happening.

Have you found a cheaper version to be somewhat durable? The people on the forums talk about Lockjaw collars, any experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    Have you found a cheaper version to be somewhat durable? The people on the forums talk about Lockjaw collars, any experience with these?
    I bought the Rogue HG collars for the exact reason you mentioned. I've been using them for >2 years and they still function like new. FWIW I did a session at Greysteel last year and noted Sully has the same model there. They work great for keeping the plates tight for deadlifts and cleans. These were a worthwhile investment.

OSO or Rogue HG are both great options. I prefer the OSO from experience. I only own the HG because they came free when I ordered my rack. Those are the only ones I recommend unless someone specifically wants competition collars, which are much higher price

Plates are the answer, not collars.

I just got a pair of Rogue HG 2.0 45 lb bumpers to use at home. These are very wide and they fit very close on the bar. That makes them stable enough to do your 135 wamup without collars. Then when you add iron plates the whole thing is so stable that your spring clips will work just fine.

At my gym we start deadlifts with wide bumpers just like these and there is a rack full of undersized York plates that go on and off easily without any need for a jack.

But let's assume that the kid is not in a position to replace all his plates because the ID is too sloppy. These collars fix the problem, and they are cheaper. Versteh?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going with Oso rather than a cheaper version because I would rather not buy again. Thanks.