starting strength gym

Thread: Switching DL Grips Mid-Set?

Default Switching DL Grips Mid-Set?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I realize DL grip issues have been done to death around here, but I still have at least one more really dumb question. I recently did a restart on DLs in order to ditch the straps. I’m 57 years old and weigh 205-210 lbs. My PR with straps was 365 x 3; I dropped back to 285 x 5 and have been working my way back up using DOH. Now that I’m back up to @315, I need to use alternate grip to finish the work set.

My question is, now that I need to use alternate grip to finish the work set, should I just do the full set using alternate grip? Or is it worth doing at least 1-3 reps of the work set using DOH to help continue building grip strength? I’m wondering if eventually the alternate grip will start to fail if I don't keep pushing DOH as high as possible. But the problem with starting the set with DOH and then switching to alternate is that some days are better than others when it comes to my DOH, and starting out feeling iffy about the grip can kill the set.

Thanks!

Just do the whole work set with the grip you need to use for the last reps. Grip gets worked on all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just do the whole work set with the grip you need to use for the last reps. Grip gets worked on all of it.
    Thanks!