starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Comparison of Two Start Positions v3 | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You think the video in the OP *ignores* something? You think I should cherry-pick these videos for the purpose of making my point, and ignore things that simple people might perceive as contradictory, for propaganda purposes? If you want shitpost, go to the other available venues that have been thoughtfully provided for this purpose.

You've made three of these videos and have promoted them somewhat heavily...

Hey, I've defended you in those other places when shit just seems to be for *propaganda* purposes...maybe if I honestly thought your model was the way to go I'd say so... (Shrugs)....

You think the low-hips position is better?

I think it's also illustrative that when the clean becomes a very heavy clean that the vast majority of Olympic weight lifters can not maintain that low hips position and the bar come off the floor. The body wants to find that natural mechanical advantage.

Really great stuff. In the first video, she is a good enough lifter that it takes a close look to find what is wrong with it. Biggest thing I see is that even with the Adipowers, she still comes up on her toes to catch the bar. Other thing is that at full extension, the bar has pretty much stopped moving up, so she has to jump out and forward to be able to catch the bar. With the higher hips, at full extension, the bar is still moving, so she is better able to pull herself down, rather than jump forward, to catch the bar. Second video, he's so strong, it makes it hard to see what happens. With the videos slowed down and side-by-side, we see the weight leave the floor earlier and finish later -- and a little bit of that coming forward to catch the bar.

Never really thought about this issue at all before. Going to give it some attention over the next week. Looking around youtube, it seems most all examples are with hips higher than knees. Think it should be easy to fix for anyone who has a problem with it because it can be corrected before the bar stars moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You think the low-hips position is better?
    Chris???

Chris???
    Hey, sorry...I'd thought I'd answered this and it was maybe stuck in post approval.

Yes - the lower-hip position is far better for most people, imo.

Why?

Why?
    More weight?

starting strength coach development program
    No.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast