starting strength gym

Thread: Power cleans for old guy

Default Power cleans for old guy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve never bothered with the powercleans because I was 49 when I started SS some five years ago.
    Now I’m tempted to try them.
    I need some explosive part in my training and my form in the other lifts feels solid atm. I mean I have the ”body confidence” to try them now.
    Stupid? Counterproductive?
    If not, what starting weight?
    My deadlift is at 450.

Learning to clean is dealt with extensively in the book: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company

Of course, coach. And I’m sure my lazy ass could derive a good starting point from the book.
    But I was under the impression it was SS and board consensus that old trainees shouldn’t bother with cleans.
    I was more wondering in the lines of personal experience and coaching experience when it comes to picking up the clean after some years of lifting. As an old guy.

My apologies, I seem to have disappointed you by contradicting the perceived "consensus." Let me clarify: unless you are elderly (you are not) or have a physical deficiency that would rule out even trying to clean, you should learn to clean. If you don't want to, that's fine with me. But I think they are useful, and I think that you should at least determine whether they will be useful to you before you puss out of even trying.