starting strength gym

Thread: Will it hamper progress

Default Will it hamper progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am just starting out with the Novice Program. I am less than a month in and have made motivational gains so far on all the exercises (135 -> 215lb on squat and deadlift, 115 -> 155 on bench press, 65 -> 105 on press). Admittedly, I added chin ups to the routine every time. I am willing to knock that out if that is perceived as unnecessary until I stop making progress in the other lifts.

My stats: 34yo male, 5'11", 190lb, 34" waist so estimated 17% body fat. Over the past year I lost 50lb through diet and running, and I believe a significant portion was muscle.

I had previously signed up for a half marathon this July and another in the fall, so I am having to continue with my endurance running. Right now, I am following the novice program for MWF, swimming T, running Th, cycling Sat, long run Sun. After the fall race, I plan to knock down the endurance training to just the weekend. I am not afraid of gaining weight, as I figure that it will be mostly muscle and I don't necessarily need abs (just want to stay in the 15-20%body fat range).

I read a vague article (why-will-you-not-do-the-program), and was wondering if there were any specific details that could be given about how this will negatively affect my getting stronger.

My goal is overall health, so if I never achieve 500lb squat, that's fine. But, I want to maintain the ability to run half marathons while also being as strong as I can be.

On a funny note, I think I am the only guy at my gym that actually uses the power rack.

Welcome! Congrats on the weight loss, and taking up strength training. You're in the right place.

That much endurance training will absolutely negatively impact your strength training. If your goal is overall health, why do you feel the need to maintain the ability to run a half marathon? When does that ever come up in day to day life, and do you not consider joint health an important aspect of overall health? If endurance sports are your jam, by all means have at it and just strength train around it however you're able. If your goal is just to be healthy, you may want to reconsider your priorities here.

What it will do is reduce the weight at which your LP ends, how significantly depending on how much you're doing - at your current schedule, quite a bit. Just doing one run on Saturday, then having Sunday to rest, then doing the lifting MWF, not so much. There's a reason we recommend just putting other stuff off during the LP. It really does make a difference, and I've seen it myself too many times to dismiss and discount.

You're a grown man, and can do whatever you want. But doing it this way isn't doing the program and will reduce the benefits gleaned from it. My article from 2012 (Strength & Barbells | Michael Wolf) goes over in great detail how strength positively impacts almost every other aspect of fitness/athleticism. If we were making the case to train and specialize only in strength for 5 years, then non-adherence would be understandable.

But we're not. We're saying take 3-6 months to just do the damn thing correctly and properly, reap the great benefits from it, and then if you want to afterwards, do whatever blend and mix of stuff you like. 3-6 months. You may be an exception to the rule, Ken, but I've found that people who are unwilling to dedicate 3-6 months to that endeavor are people who don't really want my help or to listen to my advice anyway, but instead want affirmation of what they've already decided they're going to do.

Some more food for thought-

Why You Should Not Be Running | Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for the reply. Since I am already signed up for the one race in a month, I will keep doing what I am doing until then. After that, I will heed your advice and focus on strength training through winter. I will probably keep one run in because this is something I do with my wife, but other than that, strength will be the focus.

In the grand scheme of things, will this one month of non-compliance have significant set backs in the longer (9 month) term?

starting strength coach development program
    Just means you are slowed down in your NLP for several weeks. Once you commit yourself to the program you should experience more or less normal progression from that point on. Commitment and consistency are paramount. But we all have conflicting interests and goals and commitments. Just a matter of what is the order of priority at any given time.