starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifter Unracks forwards/Racks backwards. Say something?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you mean, "Come join us in Chicago."
    No, I definitely do NOT mean that. Illinois/Chicago sucks, I wouldn't wish to subject anyone else to it.

I take it by your comment that hitch hiking is still a thing in other places. Who knew?

I've seen it occasionally.

I was in Europe last week on vacation with my family. My wife and I were amazed to pass three inebriated late teen-aged/early 20s girls hitchhiking with outstretched thumbs trying to get from the center of town up the hill, likely to get to their hotel. The previous night we had come across a handful of young men who clearly didn't speak English, but whose opening line to every female they passed was, "want to fuck?" We wondered aloud if the two groups ever met up and exchanged needlepoint patterns.

Had to update this thread: saw the same group of young women (youth volleyball team, they all come in together) doing high bar back squats out of the incline bench. I kept silent and looked away....

Their coach should be forced to squat heavy out of the military press rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Uncle Joe View Post
    Had to update this thread: saw the same group of young women (youth volleyball team, they all come in together) doing high bar back squats out of the incline bench. I kept silent and looked away....

Their coach should be forced to squat heavy out of the military press rack.
    Good decision!

I have broken the rules on 2 occasions (and almost broken them a few more times):

1. Ran into some guys I used to know who are into lifting, but struggling with injuries. I probably talked too much.

2. Saw a kid in the gym working out every day I was there for almost a year. Never would see him deadlift more than 225llbs. Then, one day, out of nowhere saw him successfully pull a 425lb deadlift. It was ugly, but I was impressed he attempted and completed it. I told him about SS, he got the book, asked me about training a couple more times after, looked like he was doing the program for a couple of weeks, then I never saw him again. Hopefully he found a better gym and is now pulling 500lbs.

I saw a young lady doing this last week at my gym. She didn’t seem very appreciative of the advice. Maybe i should have just let her faceplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I saw a young lady doing this last week at my gym. She didn’t seem very appreciative of the advice. Maybe i should have just let her faceplant.
    You have to be careful in those situations; sometimes you miss or prevent a tremendous, well-deserved faceplant if you break the rules.

starting strength coach development program
    It can be VERY hard sometimes, but I find it's best to treat your lifting approach like your religious beliefs. Unless someone asks or it otherwise comes up in conversation, best not to delve into it. If you're not a professional coach, you probably aren't adequately armed to explain to them anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12