starting strength gym

Thread: Skewing LP for muscle gain over fat gain

Default Skewing LP for muscle gain over fat gain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Is this a case of cutting back on beige carbs, sugar and processed foods while concentrating on quality protein, fats, wholegrains, fruits and vegetables?

I'm 47, 6ft and 185lb.

Cheers.

6 ft, 185?

Seems to me worrying about fat gain is a waste of time for you.

Not that what you're proposing is a bad idea, anyway, just for the sake of quality nutrition.

The man is 40 pounds (~2.5 stone) underweight, and yet is concerned about his abs. Standard deal.

Not arsed about abs Mark, but you have said skewing is possible so why not try to make weight gain more muscle focused?

Sure.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Not arsed about abs Mark, but you have said skewing is possible so why not try to make weight gain more muscle focused?
    Because you're skinny and it will limit your gainzzz... Don't waste LP potential. Down the road if you want to 'cut' you'll have more muscle available to burn calories along with a basal metabolic rate that will be through the f'ing roof.

Also this-

"It’s not bad to be a novice. I wish like hell I were a novice again, knowing what I know now. Your novice months, done correctly, will show you the fastest gains in size and strength you’ll ever make in the weight room, quite literally faster than advanced guys using steroids. But done the way most people do it, your first weeks in the gym will merely lead to you joining the ranks of the guys who quit out of frustration and boredom.

First, let’s state the Universal Truth of Training, as applied to the weight room: you do not get big and strong by lifting weights; you get big and strong by recovering from lifting weights. Everything else is derived from this simple restatement of the principle of stress and adaptation. Do not forget it." -Rip

Who Wants to be a Novice? You Do | Mark Rippetoe