• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Guys,

Started SS beginning of March at 5’11 and chubby at about 225-230 BF 20% +

Starting Weights - Current

Squat 115 lbs - 255 lbs
    Bench 110 lbs - 210 lbs
    Press 65lbs - 135 lbs
    Deadlift 125 lbs - 300 lbs

I also had to take 6 weeks off from squatting, deadlifting and 2 weeks off of all other lifts because I re injured my knee in an unrelated accident. I’ve had an undiagnosed ACL year (until recently) for about 8-9 years and have re injured it multiple times since ( torn meniscus etc )

My question is.. I feel like I’m struggling too early with my deadlift and it shouldn’t be as hard as it is. My injured knee/quad/calves are smaller and weaker then my good leg obviously because over the years I’ve always been tentative to use the other leg not knowing when and if it would buckle. Is it possible that it’s hindering my lift, or is it more likely just that I am weaker than I think and or bad technique. I know Mark, has had or has a torn ACL and I’m curious to know how it effected him in multiple lifts.

Sorry for the long post, and any information or opinions are appreciated. I am new to training and not very knowledgeable yet.

Brad

My ACL was torn in 1994, repaired with an autograft from the same-knee patellar tendon, which was subsequently re-ruptured on two occasions (first partial, second complete), along with a couple of meniscus injuries along the way. The MCL and medial retinaculum were ruptured in the same accident. So my knee has been beaten up pretty bad. But deadlifts have never bothered it at all, not in the least. Squats, ditto. Your situation may be different, but it can't be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My ACL was torn in 1994, repaired with an autograft from the same-knee patellar tendon, which was subsequently re-ruptured on two occasions (first partial, second complete), along with a couple of meniscus injuries along the way. The MCL and medial retinaculum were ruptured in the same accident. So my knee has been beaten up pretty bad. But deadlifts have never bothered it at all, not in the least. Squats, ditto. Your situation may be different, but it can't be much worse.
    Good to know, thanks Mark! I’m Canadian so my surgery will be anywhere from 6-12 months from now. My plan is to keep doing SS LP for as long possible, gain as much strength as possible and decide when the time comes if I want to go ahead with the surgery. I really don’t want to have to go through the rehab and lose all my progression, but it’s probably the better choice for the long run given all the issues my knee has given me since it originally occurred, although strengthening my legs as helped a lot I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hey Mark, didn’t want to make a new post. I’m currently reading the 3rd book I have of yours, Strong Enough? I’m reading the part about you wrapping your knees because of your acl etc etc.

Given that I currently have a complete tear of my ACL, partial tears to my lateral and medial meniscus, would you recommend that I’m wrapping my knees for squats or if done with correct form am I fine to continue on as is. If you wrap one do you have to wrap both? I’m only squatting at 275 right now, so the weight isn’t substantial yet, but maybe as I progress wraps would be a better idea? I don’t know, this stuff is all new to me.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks