starting strength gym

Thread: The Squat: Thumbs-Around Grip

Default The Squat: Thumbs-Around Grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "In some cases the lifter has to modify the execution of the lift to accommodate the “major” points of the performance of the model, lest the Perfect be the enemy of the Good. It is only after careful thought, diligence in coaching the standard version, and a determination that a modification is actually necessary that a modification should be allowed."

Read article

Default Squatting is better than not squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    "In some cases the lifter has to modify the execution of the lift to accommodate the “major” points of the performance of the model, lest the Perfect be the enemy of the Good. It is only after careful thought, diligence in coaching the standard version, and a determination that a modification is actually necessary that a modification should be allowed."

Read article
    Working with Joyce Luke, we started with thumbs over the top, and it worked for a while. I kept squatting through the discomfort, but after several months after a squat I could barely lift my arm after a set. I’d hang it on my belt between sets. We tried thumbs under, and it was magic.

We reset my weight lower, and I worked back up. In theory, on any given day, I might be able to lift more if I could lift thumbs over, but I’ve hit PRs since then, and I’m not in a hurry. That plus I don’t love squats anyways. I do them like I eat vegetables—because I’m told they’re good for me.

Squatting is better than not squatting.

**The shoulder thing:
    2013 surgery for 2000 shoulder injury. Repaired labrum, tightened capsule that had been “stretched like a deflated balloon”. Have full ROM for daily life. Thumbs over apparently aggravates it a lot.