starting strength gym

Thread: End of week 2 LP, deadlift grip failing

Default End of week 2 LP, deadlift grip failing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm skinny, weak, 6ft and started LP last week at 185 lb with no weight lifting experience for many years.

I've added half a GOMAD to my diet with protein around 220g /day. Sleep is good.

Starting stats were:

S 40kg

P 22.5 kg

BP 35 kg

D 50kg

After 5 sessions they are now:

Weight 192lb

S 60kg

P 27.5 kg

BP 37.5 kg

D 85kg

SS.jpg

Squat up 5kg/session, P and BP 2.5kg, deadlift 10kg.

The press is very weak which is a concern but the main issue is that my deadlift grip (double overhand) was weak at 85KG.

There's no chalk in the gym so is it time to move to a hook grip, perhaps in conjunction with reducing the weight increases?

Would really appreciate some advice on how best to progress with the DL.

Cheers.

You are not allowed to bring chalk to the gym?

As long as they won't yell at you about it bring liquid chalk and a small brush and rag to clean the bar afterwords. I train at an anytime fitness(and in typical commercial gym fashion they don't provide chalk but there's also no sign saying NO CHALK. I imagine the idea never crossed their mind) and that's what I do. Just make sure the bar and plates are chalk free when you leave.

Agree. I’m in a globo gym that actually has signs saying chalk not permitted in weight room. Luckily, it’s not in the weight room. It’s in a tupperware bowl in my gym bag . As long as you don’t make a mess and clean up after yourself, you should be fine. Deadlifts were killing my hands until I finally started using chalk.

My personal experience is that the hook grip will not really "lock" without chalk either, at least not at heavier weights. Have you tried mixed grip?

But strengthening your grip is not a bad plan either. Hold on to the last rep of each set for 5-10 seconds. (Either double overhand or mixed). A strong grip is important even if you do switch to a hook grip.

Get chalk. Use liquid chalk or use it surreptitiously if you need to. I didn't start using chalk until my DL was over 365lbs for reps, and that was stupid. Get chalk. It's the difference between struggling with 3 reps and then having to wipe hands, reset, and try to grind out 2 more reps, and just pulling 5 reps like you should.

Get chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by traprater View Post
    As long as they won't yell at you about it bring liquid chalk and a small brush and rag to clean the bar afterwords. I train at an anytime fitness(and in typical commercial gym fashion they don't provide chalk but there's also no sign saying NO CHALK. I imagine the idea never crossed their mind) and that's what I do. Just make sure the bar and plates are chalk free when you leave.
    Cheers, much appreciated.