starting strength gym

Thread: Meeting Strength Standards

Default Meeting Strength Standards

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What fraction of serious training young men weighing near 200 pounds meet the typically mentioned standards of a 200 Press, 300 Bench Press, 400 Squat and 500 Deadlift?
    In my gym maybe only a quarter would reach the standards on these lifts just by casual analysis.

I do not know what the ratio is, but I travel quite a bit, and I have noticed over the last few years that more gyms are installing squat racks with Olympic/deadlifting pads and that more people are starting to focus on strength over aesthetics. Still not the lions share by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    What fraction of serious training young men weighing near 200 pounds meet the typically mentioned standards of a 200 Press, 300 Bench Press, 400 Squat and 500 Deadlift?
    In my gym maybe only a quarter would reach the standards on these lifts just by casual analysis.
    I'd suggest that this is highly dependent on your definition of "serious training."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'd suggest that this is highly dependent on your definition of "serious training."
    No kidding. I'd wager that the number of NON-serious training men pressing their bodyweight is pretty close to zero.

As a side note would a guy that does a typical bro split (1x body part per week training) be considered serious even if he lifts reasonably hard?

What is "hard"?

Hard is subjective and differs according to level of training experience and how an individual is feeling (feeling is subjective).
    I can't get away with the words I use here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is "hard"?
    More to the point, how does one lift "hard"? Does that just mean heavy? or like it's subjectively difficult?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

We have developed objective criteria to address this issue. I think the novice/intermediate/advanced spectrum works well, if it is applied correctly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    What is your question? Will a young man who trains seriously toward the goal of performing these lifts and has a bodyweight around 200 lbs while neither excessively fat nor uncommonly tall reach these numbers? Will a young man who trains seriously for sprinting and weighs 200 lbs reach these numbers? Will a young man who starts out at 250 lbs and trains seriously for a 5k race while cutting weight to 200 lbs reach these numbers? Will a young man weighing 200 lbs in serious training for bodybuilding meet these numbers? Will a young man with a background in "bro" lifting who then decides to train seriously for the big lifts meet these numbers? To the first and last case, near 100% with appropriate programming. To the rest, unlikely.