starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westside Weakpoint Training

Default Westside Weakpoint Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have watched a few Westside videos in the past and they mention bringing up specific weak muscle groups with special exercises. For instance if glutes are weak they will use varying special exercises for this group.

Is squatting, deadlifting and perhaps an assistance exercise all that is required to work all the aspects of the lower body kinetic chain?
    Why are more exercises necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    Is squatting, deadlifting and perhaps an assistance exercise all that is required to work all the aspects of the lower body kinetic chain?
    Who does Louie Simmons train at Westside Barbell?

And does anything anybody does at Westside apply to anybody else anywhere? This is the same problem we encounter when trying to explain why S&C at D1 and Pro is such bullshit.

Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

For instance if glutes are weak they will use varying special exercises for this group.
    How do they know it's the glutes that are lacking? Aren't other muscles working at the same time? Even if they manage to 'target' the glutes, won't some other muscle group then become the weak link?

They're all that are needed to gain a base level of strength. Remember that the body is a system. The only performance that matters for a system is it's output. The performance of any individual component is irrelevant unless it contributes to the output. In fact, the easiest way to make a system fail is to pursue 100% performance from all components.

I take it that the Westside methods are needlessly complex for practically all lifters.
    I could be wrong

So you found your new horse to beat. Do they train for strength at Westside? Do you train for strength? Just an easy yes or no question.

No. They train for competitive powerlifting at Westside. Don't ask me to explain the difference to you.

But they get stronger, correct? Powerlifting is measured by strength, correct?

I asked you not to do that.

starting strength coach development program
    Does an average Joe or Jane start training at Westside and go from weak to elite powerlifter? Or do the folks who train at Westside already exhibit the necessary genetic predispositions for becoming an elite powerlifter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast