starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Westside Weakpoint Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Training at Westside is by invitation only. Guess who gets invited?
    Well there's this:

"...premier-level athletes who strive to push the very limits of their minds and bodies."

...and this, exclusively:

"It’s not for the weak; it’s not for the timid; and it’s not for those seeking fame."

Not sure how accurate this is but:

"The requirements are that you must be a pro or be at near pro level.

For example, 1810 total at 181 lbs, 2200 total at 242 lbs, and 2400 at 308 lbs or close to these are entry levels at Westside."

And does anything anybody does at Westside apply to anybody else anywhere?
    It would probably apply to a very low percentage (<1%?) of anybody else anywhere, based on the above alleged selection criteria...

What does selection criteria have to do with training for strength? The principles he uses work on any population, just to a much larger degree on gear and using gear.

A couple years ago just after getting into weight exercising I did a bunch of research into Louie and his video's / books. He's brilliant in his ability to seek out knowledge, distill what works and apply it to his passion (competitive power lifting).

I did my own "programming" using some of his methods like box squats, bands, speed strength days, accessory lifts/exercises. It was fun, I got stronger, I was still weak because I didn't eat/sleep and stress at the job was high. Eventually I got frustrated and distracted and went off doing other things thinking I was too old/un-gifted to train.

Now that I'm into weight training and following SS I see how silly I was to pursue those things at my numbers/age/level. It was more work than was necessary (mentally and physically) and wasn't efficient time wise. There's only so much time to train and training is only part of the equation of train-eat-sleep. Better spend your time counting Macro nutrients and setting up a better sleep cycle.

"Train Optimally not Maximally" (I think Louie and Rip agree on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    What does selection criteria have to do with training for strength? The principles he uses work on any population, just to a much larger degree on gear and using gear.
    Bands and chains do not work for everybody. Conjunctivitis or whatever he calls it does not work for everybody. A lack of small plates does not work for everybody. He teaches the squat in a way that does not work for everybody. He does not understand the mechanics of a deadlift. And that fact that he hand-selects his trainees tells you that his methods are not what works for his trainees, any more than the New England Patriots S&C program will work for you and me. And had you not slipped into blind rage several posts ago, some I had to delete, you would remember that you knew this already.

starting strength coach development program
    A bold move throwing Westside nonsense on this board. Let’s stop it please. Rip has worked too hard to be polite about answering bizarre questions about Westside on his own board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123