starting strength gym

Thread: Reding Press 1971

Default Reding Press 1971

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was scrolling through YouTube and found another rare video of Serge pressing. This is a somewhat different angle than the 502 Press. I’m just wondering if this technique would pass muster by today’s standards in the USSF. If you look closely, there is a slight drop/bounce in the hips. Slow the video down to .25 and you can see that as he reaches his hips forward during the initial bow/layback, there is a slight bend of the knees as he approaches the peak. He then rapidly pulls his hips back/up to propel the bar up. Would this be considered as upper momentum applied to the bar? Just want to hear others opinions.

YouTube

He stepped back after touching elbows to knees. Red lights for that, but nothing wrong with his knees. Look at Alexiev's 507.

Yea, I’ve seen Alexiex’s Press, and I think it’s more along the lines of a Push Press. Would you red light my press here for knees?

YouTube

White lights, the knees did not drop the bar.

Thanks for taking a look Rip. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to distinguish good permissible hip toss vs knee push. I reckon that comparing Reding’s Press to Alexiex’s is a good guideline to use.

starting strength coach development program
    I am going to disagree on a what I believe to be a very challenging call and give this red lights. I have attached a video to attempt to demonstrate why. This is a call based upon incidental unlocking vs knee bend that contributes to upward motion. Would never fault one of my judges making a call in either direction for this lift especially given they don't have slow motion review.

YouTube