starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to add conditioning?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Davison View Post
    James,

Thank you - that's a very useful post. BTW, my waist measures 39" and my BMI is 30. I'm not too worried about the BMI figure (I think the whole England rugby team would qualify as "obese" on the basis of BMI and I realise that it was devised for populations rather than individuals).

I'm picking up the need to become a better informed, more discerning consumer when it comes to health services. And it's a fair point.

I guess the skill here is finding the "sweet spot", somewhere between the two extremes of slavishly following the doctor's every utterance and never seeing a doctor at all.
    No one really responded to this, but a 39 inch waist is high enough to put you in the range for higher risk of mortality, so whether by adding conditioning or by cutting bodyweight (while keeping your protein high), I’d probably be trying to cut bodyfat and get that waist size down.

Of course I understand human nature. You can’t stay in Practice and not understand it. Is it human nature to add 5 pounds to the bar every workout in an effort to become as strong as the individual is capable of? No! That hasn’t stopped Rip and those like him from educating as many as possible of the benefits of it. Human nature, as it is in the 21 century, is to fill your face with as much garbage as possible, sir on our fat asses while we watch sports center, and ask our general practitioner for a drug to offset all the abuse we have done to ourselves. It didn’t used to be this way and it doesn’t have to stay this way. We are seeing children with adult onset diabetes today. That was unheard of 10 years ago. Is this just bad genetics? No, it’s the constant abuse of a child’s body with food. Though, I’m getting used to the ignorant comments like bracemakers and from some of the other geniuses on this board. I also am aware that you can’t become addicted to cigarettes until you start smoking. I’m also aware that the Japanese smoke more per capita than any other country in the world. They aren’t dying of cancer at the rates we are in the US. Why is that? Because their diet is far superior to ours in the US and is able to offset the abuse they are doing to their bodies with the smoking. I swear this board has more SJW and people looking for any reason to be offended than the Huffington Post. All this from me implying to the OP that looking for another script probably isn’t the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JDemboski View Post
    Of course I understand human nature. You can’t stay in Practice and not understand it. Is it human nature to add 5 pounds to the bar every workout in an effort to become as strong as the individual is capable of? No! That hasn’t stopped Rip and those like him from educating as many as possible of the benefits of it. Human nature, as it is in the 21 century, is to fill your face with as much garbage as possible, sir on our fat asses while we watch sports center, and ask our general practitioner for a drug to offset all the abuse we have done to ourselves. It didn’t used to be this way and it doesn’t have to stay this way. We are seeing children with adult onset diabetes today. That was unheard of 10 years ago. Is this just bad genetics? No, it’s the constant abuse of a child’s body with food. Though, I’m getting used to the ignorant comments like bracemakers and from some of the other geniuses on this board. I also am aware that you can’t become addicted to cigarettes until you start smoking. I’m also aware that the Japanese smoke more per capita than any other country in the world. They aren’t dying of cancer at the rates we are in the US. Why is that? Because their diet is far superior to ours in the US and is able to offset the abuse they are doing to their bodies with the smoking. I swear this board has more SJW and people looking for any reason to be offended than the Huffington Post. All this from me implying to the OP that looking for another script probably isn’t the best idea.
    I'm not offended, I'm trying to understand why you hate all of modern medicine because people don't do the things that they are supposed to do to be healthy. Like, it's the Doctor's fault people are obese, pound sugar, drink, smoke, and don't exercise? Apparently I'M the ignorant one.

For what it's worth, if you care, I work in a physician's office working on other healthcare businesses. Weekly, the same hoard of patients come in, fat, lazy, smokers, eating fast food, etc. They're diabetic, have high blood pressure, poor foot circulation, typical everything is wrong with them. They have wounds that won't heal because they don't keep their sugar down, don't exercise, eat like shit. Do you think they don't know what they're supposed to do? Do you think none of the army of doctors they see on a regular basis, including the one I work for, CONSTANTLY tell them what they need to do BEYOND medications to fix their situations? "Yeah, I know, I'll get to it, I'll work on it, I'm going on a diet, I just got my gym membership, I've been walking every day, I got some nicorette gum, etc. Pfft. At the end of the day, you give them their medicine and send them home, because it's the only things keeping them alive. Eventually they die. 5% of the population is 50% of the costs. If only they had listened in health class....

In reality, in a way it's testament to how great modern medicine is, that so many stubborn, ignorant, lazy members of our species are still walking this earth despite their own attempts to destroy themselves. I'm not saying it's right, it's fricken reality man. You of all people should know it. You can explain it to 'em, but ya can't understand it for 'em.

If that is what you got from my post then you didn’t understand a word of it. Furthermore, I don’t hate modern medicine, I'm a doctor for shit’s sake. I love my profession, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have flaws. I’m sure Mr Rippetoe loves strength training as well, but sees flaws in the direction it’s heading. This is probably why he is educating as many novices as possible, they haven’t been as corrupted by the industry as the more advanced can and have been. But, I'm done contributing to this thread. Carry on gentleman.

If I hadn't seen a doctor, I would be dead right now.

starting strength coach development program
    In my opinion a big part of the problem is that the AMA and the processed food industry are joined at the hip thanks to lobbyists and the rats in Washington.

They want people that are ignorant about how to eat well, and our government schools don't help. I don't want to get on my soap box but this entire country is in huge trouble at this point in time.

but even with that it always does come down to personal responsibility

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123